Surviving Minnesota!

Hi Frozen Peeps. I was going to suggest a new thread with that name "Frozen Peeps" lol, but I see you already named and started one BC
smile.png
Holm your photos are great, maybe you could also post the one that almost made it onto the BYC calendar? I love that one!

Be careful tonight. This is what happened last year when mine got frost bit. It was November, raining and warm, then the temps dropped below freezing quickly. There was a draft going up and over my roost and they got frostbit combs, 2 of my girls, my BO and my Golden Comet. So if you have big combs on your birds and your coop is damp due to the rain, then I would considered putting bag balm on their combs tonight. as a precaution.

big_smile.png
Well, I don't know about guru, just learning alot last year (the hard way!)
Well, off to get my treat bowls for the girls ready for tomorrow (So I don't have to do it like I did today at 4:30 in the morning
hmm.png
). When it is ugly like this out I like to give them kale, shredded cabbage, and other greens in the run as they won't be free ranging. It is suppose to be super windy tomorrow, and cold after these several days of rain. I wonder if we've seen the last of the nice weather? Hopefully not.

Last edited:
I think it might be a mild winter. I hope I haven't jinxed it by saying that. Well you certainly have some nice bells and whistles on your coop and fancy new run. When the grass covers with snow then I'll start adding greens in a treat bowl. I leave the two doors open on the run so when the rain breaks they can run out and get a bit of grass and go back in when it rains. They like apple cores and peels now and a few handfuls of scratch. I watch the amounts though due to them still finishing molts. Wanting them to eat their formulated feed a bit more. Hard for me not to spoil just a bit though.

What a wonderful idea for a thread. I will be following along in hopes of learning some valuable cold weather information lol. I only fit into this thread because we share the same weather, I am a proud WIsconsinite. We have been dealing with rain all week as well and my run looks like a mud wrestling pit. We put up some fence panels around part of the run today to try to keep it snow free as last year shoveling was for the birds lol, my flock just doesnt care to go out side in the winter even if i shovel or throw down hay/straw for them to get around on ( spoiled or smart?).
Holm your photos are beautiful, I'd love to see 100's more, thank you for sharing them.
I will sit back and enjoy this thread, oh yes i love the guidelines for this thread as well.
All right my Minnesotan neighbors get chatting, sharing recipies, hobbies, animal stories, coops and preferably pictures.
I will remain a benchwarmer from here on out. Lol

Welcome crazy feathers. Wisconsin is probably my favorite neighbor state. I went to school in Duluth and we'd head to Sconnie for beer. Lol.

There is a thread or article on BYC on dealing with a muddy run. There's some strategies in that article. I read it once. I have a covered run to deal with snow and there's about a foot of hay/ straw and leaves for the chooks to rifle through.
Well we don't necessarily want you on the bench. Jump in wherever you want. It will probably be more social thread. But we're always learning too. Asking questions when needed.

We welcome you.

Sure, Kloppers your welcome to join us.

I went out and checked on the roosters in the new bachelor pad. The stupid birds did not go into the coop. They are sitting out in the rain. I have 2 2x12 across the middle of the run part and they are all trying to squeeze under it. I hope I have life birds in the morning.

They were probably scared of the new wood chips or some other silly reason.

Back
Top Bottom