Surviving Minnesota!

I love crab legs DH doesn't. Our romantic evening is him working on his bike and me watching (kinda) and having beers in the shop. I'll make homemade mini pizzas.

So dog parks: Kloppers your going to think I'm nuts telling you this stuff but there was a dog park they closed in Brainerd last summer due to parvovirus cases. Apparently not all dog owners keep up with shots like they should. Ever since reading that story I'm- again grateful for where I live. No dog parks for us. Just tick diseases. Blech.

Cluckies I've been cutting those rings for many years. Just last week I as DH doing it too. It's all the little things we can do-- an ounce of prevention.

Oh that's right Ralphie. How are the coconut trees fairing this winter?

BC Coconut trees seem to have taken a little beating this winter. I am doing my best for them though..

I am glad we live were we do too, no more dog parks!

I open the door kick them outside, they sit in the deck and whine to come back in. Their exercise is whining to come in. We kick them out if we see a hawk or eagle anywhere out a window too. They do not understand. We tell them to go protect the chickens, but they just look at us like we are the stupid ones....

I have left my layer flock in the protection of Blackie. I am a little nervous. Ed is now living with the PC and the 2 blue EE layers. He did not complain too much as I carried him over, but he was quite upset when he went in the pen.

He was not too upset to not have sex though. He almost immediately mated one of the EE's. It was such a short mating I doubt anything happened.

Ed complained when I picked him up and carried him out. He has never been afraid of me and I have never tried to pick him up, so when I did, he was totally confused by it.

Blackie gave the "you better watch out and stop what your doing to one of my chickens call, when Ed complained. Maybe that is a good sign and Blackie will be a good rooster too. He is young though. Shortly he will be moving with the BA's. Then it is up to Sven and Chauncy to maintain order and protect. They are younger yet. I hope they do well.

So dog parks: Kloppers your going to think I'm nuts telling you this stuff but there was a dog park they closed in Brainerd last summer due to parvovirus cases. Apparently not all dog owners keep up with shots like they should. Ever since reading that story I'm- again grateful for where I live. No dog parks for us. Just tick diseases. Blech.

Cluckies I've been cutting those rings for many years. Just last week I as DH doing it too. It's all the little things we can do-- an ounce of prevention.

Parvo is carried by coyotes around here . They seem immune but spread it . First showed up in early 80's when coyote numbers exploded .

No crab legs for me tonight. Judy just called she is in Elk River and just now heading to Princeton to see another patient, so... I guess it is grilled cheese and campbells soup whenever she gets off work. As I did not take anything out for supper.

We keep our dogs up to date on vaccinations. With Dixie being a therapy dog she need to be to go to the nursing home.
We like going because it helps keep our dogs socialized. Living out on the farm they can go long periods without seeing other dogs which is mostly a good thing except we want them to be friendly when we go camping in the summer.

I was really lucky with my first hatching eggs from Meyer hatchery (had 90%) and got cocky I guess. The only ever real luck I had was with Guinea hen eggs. No more ebay eggs for me. They get here pretty fast and have been wrapped well/not broken but I just don't even think they were fertile. I did ask for the eggs to be shipped with the 72+ hour heat pack, but I think you are all right about the low fertility this time of year. I had never even thought about how the more populated areas may be rougher on the eggs, it's a really good point. I'm going to try again in March with HinkJC for the Orpingtons.
I wish I could go to Hutchison but it's a 10 hour round trip. We need some poultry meets way up here in the north. Hoping to go to the one in Floodwood. Will your sister be at that one if they have it?

IVIE your little chick is still alive, all you need to do is come and get her!

She maybe gimpy, but she is showing gumption today ad moving about the cage.

IVIE your little chick is still alive, all you need to do is come and get her!

She maybe gimpy, but she is showing gumption today ad moving about the cage.

Okay - I can come tomorrow morning. Will she be okay alone for a couple of weeks until the SS join her? The mama cave is set up in the clean brooder

Back
Top Bottom