Surviving Minnesota!

What did the dexters go for? Expensive? Cheap?

I am not sure. I could not tell their age, they are so different in size and looks from cattle I know. The first one went for $560 and the buyer took a small (looked young heifer)..

The auctioneer offered the second place buyer some at 560 and he refused... then he offered them to him at his last bid 550 and he refused...

So they bid them up again and the second place bidder paid 600 apiece for 2 of them :lau:confused::lau

I am assuming he was lesser Scandinavian.

My BIL and I left then as we were laughing so hard the guy was staring at us..

I am not sure. I could not tell their age, they are so different in size and looks from cattle I know. The first one went for $560 and the buyer took a small (looked young heifer)..

The auctioneer offered the second place buyer some at 560 and he refused... then he offered them to him at his last bid 550 and he refused...

So they bid them up again and the second place bidder paid 600 apiece for 2 of them :lau:confused::lau

I am assuming he was lesser Scandinavian.

My BIL and I left then as we were laughing so hard the guy was staring at us..

Jeez those went cheap for Dexters! I wish we would have stuck around to watch!

Don't they have another auction this summer?

so who is getting the bad weather? We are really muggy here but so far no rain today. It rained all day yesterday...any suggestions on throwing seed down in the pasture (for growing forage)? My pasture is bare mud. My chickens ate the last batch I threw out. I was hoping it would be a continuous rain for the next few days so I could throw some down at night and it might have a chance to take hold before the chickens find it???

Bad news....somehow one of the chicks wound up outside the gate and one of my Aussie's killed it. :hitI almost killed her but I counted to 1,000 and showed restraint. So....I am down to 11 chicks and so far I can tell at least 4 appear to be cockerels (basing this on their combs turning a bright orange right now) but jury is still out on the others. I think the one she killed was a pullet (I was so mad at her) I will be VERY happy if the 7 left are all pullets!!! Two are feathering out completely black - kinda cool...the four Blue's are a combo of grey/blue and black feathers...I will have some new pictures soon...

Jeez those went cheap for Dexters! I wish we would have stuck around to watch!

Don't they have another auction this summer?

I think the end of August. I will take my pullets and butcher roosters to it too a good way to get rid of the excess.

I am not sure they were pure the black ones looked Angus crossed.

No, bad weather her Siggie but feels like it could rain. I should be out working but am having mid morning coffee after a strenuous hike for mushrooms...All over here for this year (for Morels)...

Welcome !!!

Where you from? What animals do you have? Nice to have more here

Thank you! I live on the western edge, right next door to South Dakota. The only animals we have at the moment are 18 adult chickens (16 hens, two roosters), 5 freshly hatched babies, two horses that haven't been ridden in way too long, and a dog and a cat.
DH and I farm, and I work in our local school district so it's crazy-busy for us right now. Kids are grown and gone, so I'm #1 farmhand when I get home.

Good Morning Chickeners . . . . Maybe I should drop that greeting now that we are starting over. I have just grown accustomed to it.

Welcome to Surviving Minnesota bobbi-j. We always like new member to join us if they dare. Actually, we are each a very nice chickener and as a group we are a hoot!

It is grey here Siggie. Yesterday was quite nice. I traveled up to St. Cloud for a retinal recheck this a.m. and since I am dilated (and yes, drove myself home again) and I am quite pleased with the non-sunny sky. It is a little cool, but comfortable.

Congrats on the little cuddlers BC. Did you leave any with Jerry? Gotta get those plants to him yet.

MomofMany - whew! you are one busy lady. But then, I guess you can do ALL of that when you have a housekeeper and a cook! :lau

ILL - keep up the good work - sorry for the generalization but you know I know nothing about track. I am learning through you and MomofMany.

Hello Cluckies and EJB and Holms and - and - and

Holm, you got a Turkey baby!

I did pick up two little poults for a ridiculous amount of money. I couldn't help myself. A Royal Palm and Narragansett. The Narra is incredibly friendly and always wants to be by us. My guess is it might be a little Tom. The Palm is a bit more human sketchy. It won't even take mealworms. I did see someone in Brainerd had some Sweetgrass poults. My fingers are still twitching on that.

Back
Top Bottom