Surviving Minnesota!

Another chicken lifted to a different nest high in a white pine I’m guessing. Edith Piaf. My character marans. Chickens in the coop for 3 days. Loaded up on feed and water as we go to fall lake tomorrow. Sister will be here Friday night. But those days in the coop should break up some of the madness.

bummer.. Many times the only way to break that cycle is a week of lockdown.

Would you like my recipe for raptor stew?

Enjoy fall lake.

Will you be visiting the Winton Roadhouse?

Did you go to the campgrounds on the river Saturday?

We spend the past several days in the Suburbs of Fredenberg. We were only in the greater metropolitan area of Fredenberg once.

On the way up we waved at @EJB as we went thru Adolph.
We did not attend the family reunion. Too much going on at moms with all those kids. That is only have if the grand kids to I believe!

You got a new cat!!!

How lucky. Did you name him yet?

I thought I had learned the secret to big onions on the internet... they lied!

I cut the tops and dig out around them. They did not grow larger. The outside ring got harder is all..

And the tops still fell over.

Does anyone know if there is a way to grow large onions up here? I want softball sized onions.

Is it even possible to get large long day onions?
I get large onions. We softened up our ground quite a bit but dumping all the leaves and grass clippings on it and filling it in for a couple years. I don’t dig around or anything. I do get some small ones but most are pretty big. Maybe not softballs but some are close.

Another chicken lifted to a different nest high in a white pine I’m guessing. Edith Piaf. My character marans. Chickens in the coop for 3 days. Loaded up on feed and water as we go to fall lake tomorrow. Sister will be here Friday night. But those days in the coop should break up some of the madness.
Man that is not fun. I went out last night and found a dead hen in the coop. She had been acting funny for a week or so but no obvious signs of any sickness when I would pick her up and check her out. Everyone else in the coop looks fine though.

I saw this map today, I am thinking we need to make this work..

Sorry EJB, you have to remain behind.
4D485877-440E-4D07-9FAF-3B340F61E4D4.png

I saw this map today, I am thinking we need to make this work..

Sorry EJB, you have to remain behind.
View attachment 2278798
Uhhh... Tell you what. How about throw up a big, beautiful wall around those big cities (We'll do SF) and give 'em complete & separate autonomy and I think we could be persuaded...

[
Ralphie, the key to large onions. Pick the right variety, plant in very fertile soil with good drainage, and water daily generously.
I get large onions. We softened up our ground quite a bit but dumping all the leaves and grass clippings on it and filling it in for a couple years. I don’t dig around or anything. I do get some small ones but most are pretty big. Maybe not softballs but some are close.
so about those onions, yes to loose soil and good fertility, choosing a variety that grows large, like Vidalia, or Alisa Craig, Or Walla Walla. Watering has to be CONSISTENT! An inch of water a week or so, the amount is less important than the consistency. The biggest consideration is to not use sets. Sets are dormant dry onions, like the ones you buy in the store, but smaller. When you grow sets, or even started plants, a considerable amount of plant energy goes into getting the plant growing again. Onions started in January, under a grow light, in your house, are more forgiving and tolerant of outside growing conditions, they grow larger, because they don’t have to Grow, stop and start growing again. 😁 Hope that helps
-also seeing green seedlings in January, is SO good for the soul! 😉

Back
Top Bottom