Surviving Minnesota!

The discard is mostly the seeds and skins. The pulp goes on through with the juice. I use it to make tomato juice. One could cook it down to make sauces.
I grind them a second time, add tomato juice back into the dry to make a paste. Works well.

Not that I will do it this year.

Cold processed another half bushel of tomatoes for paste this time . Heating the juice now . After cooking I run it through a cider bag to get paste . I can the nearly clear juice for drinking and soup stock .

all this garden talk has me wallowing in tears of sadness as I decided not to plant a garden this year. Life has been busy with 2 teenagers with jobs and a husband who has been working out of town.

On the Teenage front - both kids have been kicked off the GAS PAYROLL. That is right I am hereby that MOM. But my ramifications are if your job offers $10 per hour bonus pay on top of the $18 per hour regular pay then Mom does not need to supplement your GAS Fund!

I will be hosting a day of reckoning with my cockerels on Saturday. The cockerels have been warned that if they so much as look at me wrong between today and Saturday they will be first in line to see my shiny new wedge shaped object with fancy wood stock.

Terrible day 😔
Did a feed run and he told me he was going to put the place up for sale. Going to quit milling feed when he runs out of components. ...a couple months.
Turkey feed is going to be expensive, 10lbs less for 2 dollars more. I will be selling some hens. This guy traded 2 months of feed for turkey eggs.
Probably will cut down on some chickens too... I was loosing a hundred dollars a month on these birds with the cheap feed. I like them but don't need twenty some turkeys and 70 some chickens

Here are pictures of my paste . You can make sauce this way also . Just add some juice until it is the thickness you want . So much less cooking . The fuzzy pic has the cider bag .

Attachments

• DSCN1083.JPG
    DSCN1083.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1084.JPG
    DSCN1084.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 1
My nine cockerels have been in the freezer a few days now, took them to Nelson-Shine. They were 18 week old wyandottes they dressed out 4+ lbs, a couple close to 5, so I was happy. The girls were happy to have them gone as well. Neighbors never complained.
I got the coop cleaned yesterday, SO happy to have it done. :love

Back
Top Bottom