Surviving Minnesota!

This is a production year for my walnuts. I've been reluctant to spread them on the driveway to dehusk them but I didn't get very far cleaning them by hand. The rest will go on the driveway tomorrow.

I found some husk fly larve. I know they are not a big deal in general. Do any of you know if they are okay for chickens? I'm thinking not because the juglone is definitely there. Even if that doesn't affect the chickens, I don't want it in the bedding since it will go to the garden next spring.
I use a board with a hole drilled in . I smack them through the hole with a hammer . Place the board on a 5 gallon bucket . Takes a little trail and error on hole size .

Hello from Texas. Beautiful sunset. My husband is a MN Native (North St. Paul) and we lived outside the Twin Cities for almost five years until I dropped my keys in a snowbank and locked myself out of our apartment. :D I knew it was time to go home. I admire your hardiness.
Welcome to the thread, ex MN er

Rain has stopped . Neighbor had a little over 5 inches in his rain gage . Breezy . R2elk what hardiness zone are you in ? Zone 4 ?
Sites claim zone 5. Had a discussion with Arbor Day and they admitted the zone information is wrong. Claim it is a very cold zone 4. I plant for zone 3. Most zone 4 perennials winter kill.

Problem isn't just zone temps but also soil and water conditions. Lots of alkali soil and water.

Winter thaws (January and February) followed by sub zero temps are the real killers.

Beautiful sunrise today

Attachments

• F060108A-4EC4-4E89-869F-F39F23D50BC3.jpeg
    F060108A-4EC4-4E89-869F-F39F23D50BC3.jpeg
    886.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom