Surviving Minnesota!

Also, how are they [Bresse chickens] in cold weather?

I have no personal experience with the Bresse chickens, but a few years ago I watched a nice video on YouTube from the Swedish Homestead on his Bresse chickens and he was all in on the breed. I imagine the winters of Sweden might be comparable to our winters here in Minnesota. Anyways, here is the link to the video I thought was very informative on the Bresse chicken breed...

I have no personal experience with the Bresse chickens, but a few years ago I watched a nice video on YouTube from the Swedish Homestead on his Bresse chickens and he was all in on the breed. I imagine the winters of Sweden might be comparable to our winters here in Minnesota. Anyways, here is the link to the video I thought was very informative on the Bresse chicken breed...

Thank you, I'll check it out! :)

Everyone digging out?

🥶 I live about 4 hours north of the Twin Cities. We did not get much snow at all. Just on the northern edge of the storm and I think we got only about 1/2 inch of snow. Not even enough to take out the snow blower. But our temps got down to about -20F the last few nights so it's been pretty cold. Glad I have our cars in my garage, even unheated, because it is still about 28F inside the garage. If my math is correct, that's about a +60F degree difference and that really matters to starting the car.

❄️❄️❄️❄️Happy snow shoveling or snow blowing for you guys that got hammered by the storm!❄️❄️❄️❄️

Last edited:
I have a couple of flocks of pheasants that come to my bird feeders this year. There is so much snow they have nothing to eat. I have added cracked grains, dried boom worms, and oats to the bird food mix out there to help them out. 6 roosters were coming for a couple of weeks. Today there was a mix of hens and roosters, 15 or so in total, pretty cool...

In the Twin Cities here. I had to dig my way to the coop on Thursday. My Soap has apparently decided that she wants babies now too and went broody 😅
20230226_202409.jpg

Funny, not a good time to go broody! How many chickens do you have?

Is your heat lamp red? if not, you may want to change it to red, or they may start picking on each other. If you don't have a hardware cloth cage over it, i'd recommend that too. I had a bulb come unglued and fell right out of the metal base, but it landed safely on the cage :)

Nice run to keep the snow off! Do you put a tarp on a portion of it in the summer for shade? Just curious how it has been working I'm thinking of getting some Bresse chickens and need to build something or them, or add on to what I have already, haven't decided...

Back
Top Bottom