Surviving Minnesota!

Funny, not a good time to go broody! How many chickens do you have?

Is your heat lamp red? if not, you may want to change it to red, or they may start picking on each other. If you don't have a hardware cloth cage over it, i'd recommend that too. I had a bulb come unglued and fell right out of the metal base, but it landed safely on the cage :)

Nice run to keep the snow off! Do you put a tarp on a portion of it in the summer for shade? Just curious how it has been working I'm thinking of getting some Bresse chickens and need to build something or them, or add on to what I have already, haven't decided...
It's my first year with the girls (we have 3 cochins. They turn 1 at the end of April). 2 of them went broody this winter. One in February and one in March. Luckily we broke it for both.

We have 2 heat lamps in the run on really cold days. One red and one white light. But that's good to know for next winter. Also about the cage. The bulbs breaking in the run would be a huge pain and dangerous

Thank you! We built the run just before winter. They free ranged in our backyard over last summer. We haven't really thought much about this summer yet. We're re-building the coop when we can and they'll have shaded space under the new one. They also don't tend to get a ton of direct sunlight where the run is.

It's my first year with the girls (we have 3 cochins. They turn 1 at the end of April). 2 of them went broody this winter. One in February and one in March. Luckily we broke it for both.

We have 2 heat lamps in the run on really cold days. One red and one white light. But that's good to know for next winter. Also about the cage. The bulbs breaking in the run would be a huge pain and dangerous

Thank you! We built the run just before winter. They free ranged in our backyard over last summer. We haven't really thought much about this summer yet. We're re-building the coop when we can and they'll have shaded space under the new one. They also don't tend to get a ton of direct sunlight where the run is.
Here is the cage we made years ago for my heat lamp, just hardware cloth. This is the cage the bulb fell safely onto. It is in a closed off portion of my run. I have flat panel heaters in the hen house when needed. I turn one on at about 0-10 degrees, and the other one gets turned on around 20 below. thank goodness, not much of that this year. Just alot of snow and wind.

20201224_195855-jpg.2982948

Started 32 Peppers 3 weeks ago (27 are doing well). Started 32 Brassicas a week ago, doing good as well most are up, waiting on a few. Started 96 tomatoes yesterday. Bring on spring please! going to start squash, pumpkins and watermelon in a couple of weeks. I've got 2 white sweet potatoes giving me slips as well, about ready to pot them up. I like the white sweet potatoes but cannot find any plants around here, so I took 2 from cub. they are doing great!

I'm going to plant a heck of a lot of cukes, last year the striped gophers kept eating the plants right where they came out of the ground. I replanted ones I started 2 times, then had to go out and buy plants. I ended up cutting the bottom of the cups and putting it around the plant at the ground so they couldn't get to them. I also cut leaves off of some tomato plants and put them around the bottom of the cukes as well to throw them off of the scent. finally planted tomato plants right next to my cucumber plants too! it was terrible! good thing I had extra tomato plants too! I canned up 32pints and 8 quarts of pasta sauce last year. not enough, going to grow way more tomatoes this year!

Here is the cage we made years ago for my heat lamp, just hardware cloth. This is the cage the bulb fell safely onto. It is in a closed off portion of my run. I have flat panel heaters in the hen house when needed. I turn one on at about 0-10 degrees, and the other one gets turned on around 20 below. thank goodness, not much of that this year. Just alot of snow and wind.

20201224_195855-jpg.2982948
Thank you! The photo is very helpful. I'll make sure to get that made before next winter.
Me and the girls are enjoying some freshly recovered ground today

Attachments

• 20230409_071106.jpg
    20230409_071106.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230409_071109.jpg
    20230409_071109.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Hey Mn. friends I have a question. I have a red flower - weed at the lake. Never seen them before. About a foot high and flower is small big as a penny. Anyone know what it is called?

Back
Top Bottom