Suspected Botulism

BaileyPoole

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Hi everyone,

I suspect one of my Pekin duck hens has botulism. She has labored open mouthed breathing and she is nearly paralyzed. She tries to stand up but falls over and goes rigid. I have her inside and she is still drinking but no interest in food. I’ve started trying to give activated charcoal but I don’t think she’s taking in enough. I have an appointment with the vet this afternoon. In the meantime what else should I be doing to help her and also protect my other ducks? Should I throw out their feed and mealworms and buy new bags just in case? I’m not sure what she could have gotten into.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Sorry about your duck. Botulism can be common in ducks who swim in water where they may be dead fish. Botulism usually starts with paralysis in the feet and legs, spreading up the spinal cord to wings, breathing muscles, and eyelids. An epsom salts flush can be used to help clear the toxin from the digestive tract. Scroll down for the flush recipe in this article:
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/toxins-in-the-environment/

Thank you all for checking on her! The vet couldn’t find anything definitive at this point. X-rays showed fluid in her lungs so possibly a bacterial infection. She also has an egg stuck in her tract that she couldn’t lay today. We started her on dewormer tonight and antibiotics were ordered. She goes back to the vet tomorrow and if she has declined then we have to make that very difficult decision that I have been dreading. 😔

Hi everyone,

I suspect one of my Pekin duck hens has botulism. She has labored open mouthed breathing and she is nearly paralyzed. She tries to stand up but falls over and goes rigid. I have her inside and she is still drinking but no interest in food. I’ve started trying to give activated charcoal but I don’t think she’s taking in enough. I have an appointment with the vet this afternoon. In the meantime what else should I be doing to help her and also protect my other ducks? Should I throw out their feed and mealworms and buy new bags just in case? I’m not sure what she could have gotten into.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
This people could help: @LadiesAndJane @Miss Lydia

Sorry about your duck. Botulism can be common in ducks who swim in water where they may be dead fish. Botulism usually starts with paralysis in the feet and legs, spreading up the spinal cord to wings, breathing muscles, and eyelids. An epsom salts flush can be used to help clear the toxin from the digestive tract. Scroll down for the flush recipe in this article:
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/toxins-in-the-environment/
Thank you for the information! I have Epsom salts I can try that.

It maybe Mycotoxicosis, if she possibly ate something moldy. It presents with symptoms similar to Botulism.
I lost two birds due to mold consumption a couple years ago.
I change their food, bedding, and water daily but it’s always humid here so mold growth is very possible. Do you have any recommendations moving forward? I have their feed stored in a plastic tub with a lid and it looks okay but I’m wondering if I should throw it out and start over. I’m sure it was probably something in their pen rather than the feed but I want to consider all possibilities you know.

Back
Top Bottom