Botulism in duck

dreamofwinter

Songster
Mar 1, 2021
Downeast Maine
Tuesday afternoon I went to check on my birds and found my Silver Appleyard hen down - unable to walk, neck twisting strangely, flipping over, etc. She'd been a little slow for a few days, and I'd been worried she was having trouble laying, but this was clearly more. My daughter and I took her inside straightaway and set up a hospital pen. With the disgusting condition of the duck yard, botulism or blue-green algae were my two suspects. This was totally my fault; we've had a ridiculous amount of rain and the ground is so wet that even on higher ground puddles form when you walk. The duck yard had standing water in it that I should have fenced them away from.

I did a quick google and confirmed that my instinct to give activated charcoal was sound, so I spent the next half hour getting some into her. I wasn't sure she could swallow a whole capsule so I mixed it in water and dribbled it a few drops at a time into her, making sure she was swallowing it. She was still drinking if I dipped her beak in water, so I knew the swallow reflex was still good. Then my daughter held her for about two hours, offering her electrolyte water every 15 minutes or so.

Within a few hours she was able to stand and control her muscles again, though not with a ton of coordination. Since then she's grown stronger but again, not coordinated, so she's still inside. She can stand, walk drunkenly, drink, and quack angrily at us.

I'm concerned she isn't drinking enough, and I haven't confirmed whether she can eat. How long before these things become a major concern? I've read that if a bird survives 48 hours after botulism toxin, they will survive; but I'm not sure how intensive the recovery care needs to be. Has anyone dealt with this? My daughter has some very limited experience tube feeding, but we don't have any of the supplies (and live in a rural area, so will need to plan a drive this weekend if we need to get some quickly).

Of course the very next thing we did was move all the fencing for the duck yard to confine them to the highest, driest areas. We changed and scrubbed all water buckets and tubs and are watching closely, but have seen no other symptoms.

Well - she made it past the 48-hour mark, so I think the biggest worry now is whether she'll eat and drink on her own. I'm still hoping someone who's been through this will post - I didn't find much on the forums.

I can get her to drink if I hold a cup up and dip her beak in it, but these little sips don't seem sufficient and she's not happy about it. She keeps spilling her drinking dish, so it's hard to tell if she's drinking any of it or just tripping on it (still very wobbly gait). No signs yet that she's eating.

She might be sick or reacting to mold. Botulism usually causes flaccid paralysis of the feet and legs, and will spread to the wings, neck and eyelids. I would continue to give her supportive care. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench are good. Offer moistened food up to her bill. Consider learning to tube feed her. There are online instructions and videos. What are you feeding your ducks? I will tag @Miss Lydia for more help. Posting your thread on the Duck forum would also be good.

Thank you both!
Mold is also a possibility - we assumed botulism because we had a horrible stagnant puddle they all went into, and she strted off just moving more slowly, then it progressed into her wings and her neck. After treating with activated charcoal the only area still affected is her legs/feet/balance. She gets around but not gracefully.

I feed her Poulin brand premium layer pellets, which do have niacin at duckworthy level. I've offered her some moistened pellets today and will see what she does. She has refused treats such as peas or diced watermelon.
She's been inside since getting sick, but I have her outside for a bit this morning, in an ex-pen, for some fresh air and visits with her flock since she seems so stressed being alone in the garage. I'm checking her frequently and will bring her in later today or if the weather worsens.

I should be able to get to town tomorrow to get tubing supplies if we have to go that route. My daughter has tubed seabirds while volunteering for a wildlife rescue, so we've at least got an idea how.

It's good to have the tubing equipment on hand for just something like this. I had to order my things since I live where you can't find anything and by the time it arrived I lost my Runner, So I had the stuff when my next one needed tubing and saved her life.

If you can find Poultry Cell I would give her that along with what all your doing. We have good info on flushes too if you haven't seen it
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/

Maybe she would like a buddy inside with her if she is able to be up on her feet so she doesn't get stepped on. They do much better if they have someone with them.

Good suggestion on giving her a buddy. I'll add someone in so she feels less lonely and maybe is inspired to eat a bit. Fortunately she's our biggest duck so is hard to step on ;)

The info on flushes is helpful. I had only given the one dose of activated charcoal since I read a few places that subsequent doses might not help - but I wonder if one more dose might help flush remaining toxins more quickly. I'll see if I can get her to swallow some more slurry.

I'm hoping we don't lose her from being unprepared to tube! I'll have everything on hand tomorrow so will start then if she's still not visibly eating and drinking. Rural living is wonderful but challenging, isn't it?

A positive update! Last night I moved her from the garage back into the duck barn, but still in a playpen. This morning she looked really steady and strong, and angry about everything. So I swapped the soft-sided playpen for an ex-pen, giving her more room and better view of things. I set her up with food and a nice 1-gallon black rubber tub of water and pointed the coop cam at her.

When I checked an hour later she was actively drinking from the water dish - hooray!

We did still go buy tubing supplies just in case, but when we got back from errands I saw that her food had been slightly nibbled and her water dish had small feathers and duck grease (is there a technical term for this? the gray stuff that gets in water when they've used it for bathing)... so she is not only drinking but seems to be taking an interest in hygiene again, too.

I think being in a familiar setting where her sisters can come visit has really helped. I'll offer her more moistened food and maybe some of her favorite snacks and see how that goes. And we can always tube feed now if we have to.

Thanks BYC friends for the moral support and advice.

One more update, probably the last one. Our sweet girl is actively eating and drinking, and her coordination has improved to the point where I'll probably let her out either later today or sometime tomorrow (may wait until some bad weather passes).

Lessons learned:
- Activated charcoal is your friend!
- Summer puddles are not!
- Keep tubing supplies on hand.

Back
Top Bottom