Suspected neuro issues in new chick

OfWolvesAndHen

Songster
Apr 15, 2021
So this chick hatched this afternoon (I had to assist), and was born with very stiff toes. Now I'm seeing this strange and disconcerting behavior of rolling, distress calling, and scratching at the face. It comes in waves but has been continuing for quite some time. He'll often end up on his back from shaking so violently, and when he scratches his face he shakes his head very quickly back and forth. He was not doing this earlier, in fact he was acting like a normal chick just a couple hours ago.

Any advice? Below is a video of the behavior:

https://youtube.com/shorts/qC09QaYNEcg?feature=share

So this chick hatched this afternoon (I had to assist), and was born with very stiff toes. Now I'm seeing this strange and disconcerting behavior of rolling, distress calling, and scratching at the face. It comes in waves but has been continuing for quite some time. He'll often end up on his back from shaking so violently, and when he scratches his face he shakes his head very quickly back and forth. He was not doing this earlier, in fact he was acting like a normal chick just a couple hours ago.

Any advice? Below is a video of the behavior:

https://youtube.com/shorts/qC09QaYNEcg?feature=share
That's very odd. At first he looked like he was preening himself but then it got super extreme. I don't know what I would do about that.

That's very odd. At first he looked like he was preening himself but then it got super extreme. I don't know what I would do about that.
Yeah, and that was one of the less violent bursts too. When I first found him doing that I heard the distress calls well in advance. I hope he pulls through but this seems violent, and my hopes aren't high. D:

Check him over just to make sure there's no debris in the eyes, his ears are clear, there's no bugs on him, etc.

I would get some poultry vitamins into him that contain E, B1(Thiamine) and B2 (Riboflavin). If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give 3-4 drops twice a day.

Another option is giving human vitamins. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give a bit of egg to help with the uptake of E.

In the video, I do agree, it looks neurological, so hopefully vitamin therapy will help.

Check him over just to make sure there's no debris in the eyes, his ears are clear, there's no bugs on him, etc.

I would get some poultry vitamins into him that contain E, B1(Thiamine) and B2 (Riboflavin). If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give 3-4 drops twice a day.

Another option is giving human vitamins. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give a bit of egg to help with the uptake of E.

In the video, I do agree, it looks neurological, so hopefully vitamin therapy will help.
That was my first thought---no visible debris or bugs. The eyes are clear.

I'll try vitamins, if I can get him to take them. He no longer has interest in water.

Possibly unrelated, but I feel like I should mention: when he was drinking earlier, it would take him quite some time and effort to swallow, and he would often end up falling backwards while doing so.

That was my first thought---no visible debris or bugs. The eyes are clear.

I'll try vitamins, if I can get him to take them. He no longer has interest in water.

Possibly unrelated, but I feel like I should mention: when he was drinking earlier, it would take him quite some time and effort to swallow, and he would often end up falling backwards while doing so.
Just in case - get a helper and open his beak to make sure there's no obstruction - a hair, a string, anything that could be causing some issues.

Ruling that out, do what you can to get fluids into him.
With the vitamins, you can dissolve them in a little water, then dip a qtip in the liquid. Press the qtip to the side of his beak and let a drop seep in. Let him swallow before giving another drop. It's slow and can be tedious doing this, but he's sooo tiny, that's going to be the safest way to get water/fluids into him.

I hope he pulls through. Do the best you can.

Just in case - get a helper and open his beak to make sure there's no obstruction - a hair, a string, anything that could be causing some issues.

Ruling that out, do what you can to get fluids into him.
With the vitamins, you can dissolve them in a little water, then dip a qtip in the liquid. Press the qtip to the side of his beak and let a drop seep in. Let him swallow before giving another drop. It's slow and can be tedious doing this, but he's sooo tiny, that's going to be the safest way to get water/fluids into him.

I hope he pulls through. Do the best you can.
He's drinking on his own again!

Okay, updated video: https://youtube.com/shorts/Ddpvk_G4rlE?feature=share

The little one is acting how he was before this unusual episode. Running around, pecking about in the bedding, drinking water, preening, and hanging out with his siblings. No unusual behavior in the past 15 minutes or so. Fingers crossed whatever it was doesn't come up again... I'm cautious, but glad to see improvement :)

I'm glad he's doing a bit better.
I would still get the vitamins into him.

Are the legs slightly splayed?
The legs don't appear to be splayed. His toes are still a bit curled but have straightened out significantly since earlier. He only hatched this afternoon so I'm not surprised to see him bumbling around a bit. He's trying to run before he knows how to walk!

He went into another episode of this weird scratching but stopped as soon as I picked him up and rubbed his neck a bit. Then he went back to bothering his siblings and pecking the bedding. :)

Not sure at this point if it's neurological or not because he otherwise is an active, alert chick with no clear signs of illness. I feel like if it was a neuro issue he would be clearly lethargic and dazed. I'll get them some vitamins regardless!

Back
Top Bottom