Suspection of Infectious Laryngotracheitis...need help!!!

quelzinharj

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Hi.

I have a flock with 30 chickens, they are about 1 year old. All my Chickens are sick. The whole problem started 48hrs ago.

The symptoms are:

1st day:

In the beginning of the night, i notice that some hens were wheezing and had a bubbly noise when breathing.

I didn't notice any mucus or secretion coming out of their eyes, nostrils or mouth.

2nd Day:

Early in the morning, I noticed that the all flock was with the same symptoms.

Making a bubbly noise when breathing.

Sometimes open the beak, like they were gasping for air.

Almost no interest on food and water.

Sneezing and moving head in rotation.

3rd Day ( Today)

I noticed that the wheezing sound reduced a lot. I could say that is almost gone ( was pretty loud on the second day)

But they are still sneezing, bubbly noise when breathing.

I do notice that half of the chickens were eating a little more than the second day.

Some are not interested in food or water at all. I gave some to them.

But one new symptom was noticed. There is Blood splatters on the feeder and on the water . I notice for example, that it happens when they drink water, and when the twist the head, they splatter the blood.

The research that i have made, leads to possibly being Infectious Laryngotracheitis.

I didn't introduce any new birds to the flock.

I live in Northern Wisconsin, and the weather has been pretty bad on the last days. Temperature inside the coup has been around 40F

I bought some hay from a local farmer, and put it as bedding 1 week ago. I noticed was a bit dusty.
sad.png

I am extremely worried. I know that i have to take action.

i live in a quite remote area and the local feed store didn't have any antibiotics. All I could do, was to put some electrolyte powder mix on the water ( they told it was not necessary the antibiotic).

But I know since yesterday that they need some medication, even though the antibiotic might not be the specific treatment, at least they will have a better chance to fight any secondary infections.

Well what i would like is to know what is protocol of treatment for this kind case, and what kind antibiotic is suggested?

I can't find a vet around here that treats chickens and time is ticking.

I am in a tough situation with very little resources and nobody to tell me what to do.

They are very important to me, I love them a lot, i don't want to take the chance of losing even 1.

Please I need help in what antibiotic would be prescribed ( especially if there is OTC available).

What kind actions I need to do, as far as, coup temperature, force feeding ( there is 3 hens that won't eat at all).

I love those guys so much. It is the first time that I have chickens, and this experience really changed my life. I learned so much from them.

i can not imagine to lose them.

Thanks for reading.

Raquel

I agree with your diagnosis of Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT.) ILT is contageous and surviving birds remain carriers. Any new birds that you bring in will be infected. The disease can be transmitted on clothing, shoes, etc... Here's a link, scroll down to "Infectious Laryngotracheitis" (ILT.)
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
I recommend that you cull...disinfect everything, practice strict biosecurity and restart a new flock in the spring. Since the disease is prevalent in your area, I recommend that you vaccinate your future flock. You can contact your state department of agriculture or county extension agent to find out how to go about doing this, also find out how and where you can get the vaccine.
Here's a link to vaccinating poultry including ILT:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

Tylan will not help your birds if they have ILT.

You can vaccinate your birds and save some of them, but they will forever be carriers of the disease.

You can cull and repopulate, but remember you must use the Schering Plough LT-Ivax vaccine, it is the only one that will not spread to unvaccinate birds.

I believe that Twin City and First State Veterinary Supply carry the above vaccine.

Is it possible that the hay has mold spores? I would say that if they all the sudden came down with it and the only thing new is the hay that theres a good chance that, that could be the problem. Give the hay a good look over and see if it has any mold and then if it does I would take it all out and spray it down with something that kills the spores. Did the hay come from someone that had chickens as well?

Quote:
Hi

How fast ILT progress?

Another consideration, I examined every bird, and i don't see any sign of bloody mucus on their nostrils, mouth or throat, or feathers.

I got a flashlight on their throat, and actually i don't see any mucus at all. Their nostrils are dry and clean. The throat is in normal color, no sign of inflammation.

Their eyes are bit swollen, but nothing like i saw in the pictures on the internet. There is no secretion coming out of their eyes either.

There is the possibility that the blood could be coming from the roosters combs ( they fight all the time). I did see blood in one of their combs.

I read that when they have ILT, and they cough up blood, u can see it on their feathers, beak and throat. That's why I am wondering if I can assume that is ILT for sure.

Another clear symptom of ILT, is that they gasp for air. Besides the bubbly noise i hear when they breathe, I don't see they gasping.

Today is forth day and they are the same as yesterday. Consuming food a little better.

The general symptom is drop of egg production, bubbly noise when breathing and reduced interested of eating.

The hens that i saw that are not eating, i cull and they ate a little.

I don't hear the wheezing anymore like on the first and second day.

I hope is not ILT. Does anyone can tell me in how many days the ILT reaches its peak?

Whatever they have it probably came from the dust in the hay. I already sanitize the coup and changed everything.

They never leave the farm, nobody came to the farm.

I didn't bring any new bird to the flock. My shoes, clothes that i use to work there, are not used in any other place either.

All started a week after i used this bale of hay that i noticed was dusty. And it was the first i ever used this hay as bedding.

I am really hoping that is everything but ILT.....

Quote:
I agree with u. Although the blood splatters on the feeders and water leads me to think of ILT, I can't guarantee that the blood i saw is coming out their throat or nostrils. i check each bird and they don't show any blood stain on their feathers. i open their beaks i looked with a flashlight down their throat and i didn't see any blood or sign of inflammation.

There is the possibility that the roosters hurt each other and splatter on the feeder. I have seen blood stains before. And one of the rooster has a wound on his comb, that looked like was bleeding before.

The only thing that makes sense is something on the hay, or the dust itself.

i cleaned the all coup. Removed all the bedding. And put new one.

I will start the antibiotics today.

Here are a couple of good sites. The first one suggests using Nystatin if it is fungul. I never use hay because of this. I use pine shavings(not the dust). I get it from TSC and havent had any problems. My parents raise horses so I know what to look for but why take the chance. Just a little moist and there you have it.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/biomin/2496/biomin-mycotoxins
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/biomin/2497/biomin-mycotoxins-symptoms

Back
Top Bottom