Suspection of Infectious Laryngotracheitis...need help!!!

My hens had respiratory symptoms too. Please see my signature line about a link to my woes.
I would worm them, put them on an antibiotic and sacrifice one for a necropsy so you know what you are truly dealing with.

Quote:
Hi

What kind of wormer did you use?

Can I use while they are debilitated?

What antibiotic did u use?

Thanks

If you read through my previous posting it is all in there.
I used wazine first, then valbazen, then after necropsy, I used neomycin and trimeth sulfa. I had to order almost everything as our local feed stores did not carry what I needed. I have since learned there is a bucheit's and a tractor supply within driving distance of me, ie, under 50 miles each way, that has a good selection. At the time of my saga, I was on crutches and not getting around real well.

I use DE (Diatomatious Earth) to worm mine. It wont hurt a weak bird and there is no wait on eggs or meat birds. Be sure you use 100% DE and not the stuff from Lowe's and it has to be FOOD GRADE. It has worked for mine and it has other minerals that are good for them to like calcium. You can also use to dust the chickens, coop and other pets for fleas,ticks, mites and lice. You can look it up on the internet heres one link. http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/2718456631.html. It also cuts down on flies in the summer time. It basically kills them by drying them out. It has really done wonders for my flock makes their feathers really shiny. You can usually get it at the local coop of feed store or order online.

If they are loaded with worms you should see them the next morning in the poo after using the DE in the food. Its 5% of whatever the amount of feed is.

Quote:
I used DE for years and I wound up with a lot of parasite ridden birds. I use it now as a feed supplent and have my birds on a worming schedule.

It saved some of my chickens. They had roundworms and I didnt know it because I didnt see them. It might not work for all worms. I dont like to give any chemicals unless its necessary. Im sure with my experience with other animals that tapeworms would need something else. I live in the south so roundworms are pretty bad here and it works for me. I have heard of other natural remedies as well that I will be trying for some worms. If I would probably use chemical wormer if I saw evidence of tapeworms,

Quote:
I used DE for years and I wound up with a lot of parasite ridden birds. I use it now as a feed supplent and have my birds on a worming schedule.

Did you use the right kind the stuff they sell at Lowes is not pure product, its only 10%.

Someone else suggests using Safeguard equine paste it only has a 24 hr turn around. The dosage was pea size for grown chickens and smaller pea size for younger chickens.

Back
Top Bottom