Sussex Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Misty Oak Ranch, May 15, 2010.

1. Misty Oak Ranch

Misty Oak Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    How quickly do speckled sussex' mature? I was going to get a Sussex Roo to put in with some Cornish Hens.

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    My Sussex matured very quickly at a pace that was almost as amazing as broilers. I had only two that were a light and a buff, but I have red Sussex chicks now that are outgrowing other chicks the same age. I believe speckled are smaller than the other Sussex colors though and may not have the same growth.

3. Misty Oak Ranch

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    Where can I find Red Sussex? Where are you located in NC?

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I think pdSavage has them but the Reds aren't a very popular variety and it's not likely to find quality ones that are actually pure.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:http://www.hodgesfarms.net/store/Default.asp

I can't believe it- they have light sussex for $6 a chick too! Minimum of 12 I think. The red sussex look pretty decent to me- but I haven't seen too many to really compare.

6. Misty Oak Ranch

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    How do the Buff Sussex mature in comparison to the Red and Light sussex? I am going to be getting some Standard Cornish hens, and I wanted something to cross them with that would give me a decent maturing cross.

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Probably the best person to ask would be Paul at GreenFireFarms. I only had the one and he got big fast, I have not weighed him recently but he was over 10 lbs and that was at less than a year old. He was at 9 lbs around 5 or 6 months. I think if your looking for broiler crosses you should see if you can find a healthy broiler rooster, also it seems to me that RIR grow at a good pace. It took barred rock packing peanuts a good 8 months before they were big enough for me to process. Mostly what I have read suggests a Cornish rooster over a dual breed for quick growth. I got fast growth from a black broiler roo over RIR and BR hens, but he died recently from a heat stroke on a hot day, or possibly a heart attack. He was over 15 lbs at a little over a year old. I was selling his offspring at 4 months for processing, I am hoping one of his offspring I kept will be able to take his place.

8. gandbcook

gandbcook Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Buff Sussex are the fastest maturing and heaviest of all the Sussex in our experience. They feather out faster than any of our other breeds and are little butterballs while they're growing. They also have every bit the Sussex attitude; quiet, friendly, excellent foragers.We feed our excess roos out to about 20-24 weeks and have a nice tender bird with some actual meat on it. You won't be dissappointed with a Buff Sussex. We raise Light and Buff Sussex and have tried the Red Sussex as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by