Dan23

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 4, 2017
Southwest Missouri
When I was a kid, there was a cartoon that featured, pluck-pluck-pluck-pluck pla-pluck Suuuuuper Chicken!! Anyway, always thought chickens were fun — and they can be. Anyway, I'm new to BYC, but not super new to chickens. I've been raising and hatching them for the past 7 or 8 years and raising and hatching peacocks for about 11. I only have one rooster left, a gray bantam (cochin-silkie cross) that I hatched out a few years ago, the rest are cinnamon queen hens (7) that are about 4 months old and gold star hens (15) that are 2 to 3 years old. I've had several other varieties of chickens, but found that Americana, Polish Crested, and meat chickens aren't typically as friendly as cochin, silkie, or the chickens I have now. Other than chickens and peacocks, our family has two cavalier king charles spaniels and we live in the county (outside city limits) in Southwest Missouri. I have found hatching and raising chickens MUCH easier than peacocks . . . and easier to pick up and hold than peacocks (which, by the way, can fly, just like wild turkeys).

When I was a kid, there was a cartoon that featured, pluck-pluck-pluck-pluck pla-pluck Suuuuuper Chicken!! Anyway, always thought chickens were fun — and they can be. Anyway, I'm new to BYC, but not super new to chickens. I've been raising and hatching them for the past 7 or 8 years and raising and hatching peacocks for about 11. I only have one rooster left, a gray bantam (cochin-silkie cross) that I hatched out a few years ago, the rest are cinnamon queen hens (7) that are about 4 months old and gold star hens (15) that are 2 to 3 years old. I've had several other varieties of chickens, but found that Americana, Polish Crested, and meat chickens aren't typically as friendly as cochin, silkie, or the chickens I have now. Other than chickens and peacocks, our family has two cavalier king charles spaniels and we live in the county (outside city limits) in Southwest Missouri. I have found hatching and raising chickens MUCH easier than peacocks . . . and easier to pick up and hold than peacocks (which, by the way, can fly, just like wild turkeys).
:welcome You have a very similar name to @dan26552 :p

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a wonderful intro and I'm sure you will really enjoy your time here with all the years experience that you have. I'm sure you would also like our peafowl section for all the chat about them with the other keepers there ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/peafowl.51/

Good luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC! :frow We are glad you joined our coop!
This video will help you learn your way around this site.
Get settled in and then share some pictures of your flock!

Back
Top Bottom