Svart Hona X Ayam Cemani Crossbreed?

Gabo

Hatching
Apr 20, 2015
Austin,TX
Hey y'all,

This is my first post so I'm cracking my egg on this site... forgive me if this question has been asked but I searched the archives and couldn't find it.

I'm new to the chicken game but I do my research and dive head first into any new hobbies... I've currently been keeping a small flock of 5 laying hens (2x Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rock, Golden Ameraucana, and a Black Australorp) and I'm also raising 6 chicks (3x White Jersey Giants, 2 Silkies, and 1 Silver Lakenvelder).

I'm a city boy so as much as I'd like to experiment with breeding, my neighbors would probably shoot me if I got a rooster (if not me, most definitely the rooster)... however I recently convinced my parents that their property wasn't complete until they had some chickens on it so I still have my opportunity to play around with breeding. I recently ordered an incubator and will be doing a trial hatch with some assorted yard eggs from someone in town, some will be meat birds, pullets will be distributed amongst my other chicken owning friends.

So as you can see I'll be pretty well set for my utility chickens... now that I have the work truck I want a Lamborghini and a Ferrari to park next to it... yes I'm talking about some Ayam Cemani's and Svart Hona's.

Once I've verified my hatching setup is functioning properly and that I can get a decent hatch rate I want to try my luck at hatching some Ayams and Svarts. The research I've done tells me that at least the Ayam eggs (not sure about Svarts) do not ship very well but seeing as straight run chicks are $200 and eggs average around $20 per, if I buy 10 and get 1 to hatch then I'm doing alright, and if I get a second egg to hatch than I'm doing great, and anything else that hatches would be even better. It's a risk I'm willing to take...

I've seen people breeding Hybrid Ayams but I haven't seen anybody who's bred an Ayam with a Svart...

If I'm successful in hatching some exotics it's something I'd like to try.

Has anybody heard of anyone doing this, if so what were the results like?

Does anybody with more experience in breeding know of any reasons why it would not be a good idea to crossbreed the two?

Thanks in advance...
-Gabo

Back
Top Bottom