Swallowed a grape whole?!?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2dogs1cat, Aug 10, 2010.

1. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I tossed a few overripe grapes out to my hens and the BA gulped down two whole. Is that ok?

2. ChurkLover

ChurkLover In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    I've done that with mine before and had no problems...I hope it doesn't cause a problem for you.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Should be fine...mine have done it with no ill effects. It gives me a strangling feeling though when I watch it, so sometimes I'll cut the bigger grapes in half.

4. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    These are standard grapes, not the big globe grapes. It is funny to watch one grab a grape and shake its head, sending the grape flying and another hen chases it. They seem to like their treat.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Mine will eat grape tomatoes the same way. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My rooster can down a large fig in one gulp. In fact he did so yesterday, giving me stink eye the whole time. I guess he thought I might try to steal his fig.

7. MakNugget

MakNugget Songster

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It creeps me out when they do it so I don't allow it. I either hand feed or cut them up into quarter pcs.

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Crowing

Apr 19, 2009
    I've watched mine swallow adult mice whole. I figure at least the grapes are round so as to slide down easier. [​IMG]

9. pebble

pebble In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Spokane WA
    It would be funny to see grapes swallowed whole! We usually cut them in quarters, then carefully hand feed. Pebble, our rooster is very greedy. If you hold one in the air , just a little bit to high for him to reach, he will hop up to grab it with his beak.[​IMG]

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My girls have eaten grapes and toms whole. I think they are too glutenous and eat way to fast. One did get some stuck and kind of barked for a while. Now I cut them in half~ not the girls the grapes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by