Swan Advice?

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee
Hello! This will have to start with some context...
Our neighborhood hosts two large ponds, one with property owned by my family. About twenty years ago, the neighbor who owned the other pond bought and hand-raised a breeding pair of pinioned trumpeter cygnets. As adult swans, they stayed at the pond and had cygnets of their own, but the female and her cygnets were unfortunately killed off over the years by some predator. (We suspect snapping turtles or weasels got the young ones, and possibly a coyote for the mother) I only met the swan after his widowing, but the swan grew to "trust" me after feeding it for a while. He was 18 years old when he died after breaking his leg and being preyed on by a coyote.
Since the swan died, the neighborhood has made more efforts to eradicate coyotes and snapping turtles. Last year, they killed more than 11 coyotes and have caught many snapping turtles.
After about 2 or 3 years of no swans, I saw a wild one swimming in our pond. It made me think about the possibilities of getting swans again, but I would have to be the one to raise them. I wanted to ask some questions about them here.
What level of experience does it take to raise swans? I've raised many ducks and chickens into adulthood, but in what ways are swans similar/different? Are they hard to maintain? Where do you get swans?
I'd be willing to give more security to a new pair of swans. I could fence in a spot on the shore so they could have somewhere to safely sleep.
I'd like to know your opinion. Thanks for reading.

Hello 007Sean, how goes the day? Hey....backyardchickens so confusing since the big makeover some time ago I'm not on here much. See you tagged me and think must be to answer swan questions asked by Duckstruck. Did I tell you I sold the 3 Black Aussie cygnets (young swans)? Gunther is by himself again. Hmmmm, should I get another female? Tell me "NO", LOL!!!

Our neighborhood hosts two large ponds, one with property owned by my family. About twenty years ago, the neighbor who owned the other pond bought and hand-raised a breeding pair of pinioned trumpeter cygnets. As adult swans, they stayed at the pond and had cygnets of their own, but the female and her cygnets were unfortunately killed off over the years by some predator. (We suspect snapping turtles or weasels got the young ones, and possibly a coyote for the mother) I only met the swan after his widowing, but the swan grew to "trust" me after feeding it for a while. He was 18 years old when he died after breaking his leg and being preyed on by a coyote.
Since the swan died, the neighborhood has made more efforts to eradicate coyotes and snapping turtles. Last year, they killed more than 11 coyotes and have caught many snapping turtles.
After about 2 or 3 years of no swans, I saw a wild one swimming in our pond. It made me think about the possibilities of getting swans again, but I would have to be the one to raise them. I wanted to ask some questions about them here.
What level of experience does it take to raise swans? I've raised many ducks and chickens into adulthood, but in what ways are swans similar/different? Are they hard to maintain? Where do you get swans?
I'd be willing to give more security to a new pair of swans. I could fence in a spot on the shore so they could have somewhere to safely sleep.

Hello 007Sean, how goes the day? Hey....backyardchickens so confusing since the big makeover some time ago I'm not on here much. See you tagged me and think must be to answer swan questions asked by Duckstruck. Did I tell you I sold the 3 Black Aussie cygnets (young swans)? Gunther is by himself again. Hmmmm, should I get another female? Tell me "NO", LOL!!!

You on here Sean? I have no idea how to answer. This format of typing at the bottom of doesn't seem correct but it's the only option I'm being offered. Think I'll call you for directions, LOL!!

Duckstruck, I've incubated, hatched and raised cygnets to adulthood and just sold 3 one month old cygnets I hatched. I've never raised any other waterfowl so can't compare but imagine it's about the same. Ask questions and I'll answer. So much information to share I wouldn't know where to start.

Howdy Darlene, doing fine. Glad you sold the cygnets to a great home. No no no, females! :lau

I have some small experience from caring for a male mute swan years ago. The best advice I could offer is to make a floating island, provide a feeder with 16-20% protein, and design a corral shoot to separate and catch the birds when needed. Have a vet familiar with swans. Lastly, buy a swan sleeve to wrap them up and transport.

Go to Swanlover.net you will learn sooo much!

Back
Top Bottom