Swan egg hatching advice

Australorp100

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
Hi, so I have got a swan egg that I want to hatch but I have never hatched one before and have no idea about the hatch process so if anyone here has any experience I would be greatful, like like lockdowns, raising the chicks, best temperature. Anything really I’m very new to swans thanks for any replies

Yes i have hatched chickens and ducks before, and my incubator has a option for bigger eggs, so it should be ok, I know about the hatch process of geese but I never actually hatched them.

I have not incubated any I always used the broody pen. Incubation period is from 35 to 42 days, but I let them go to 45 days. What I would do is use the same system they use for goose eggs if you are going to incubate them. The treatment of the eggs is basically the same. You can mist them towards the end of incubation. as with any birds it is better to incubate more than one egg. The cygnets always do better if they have a friend or four. They like a lot of seaweed, and you can give the cygnets unmedicated crumble. Too high of protein can cause the babies to grow unproportionally. In other words, too fast. you can raise the cygnets in one of those plastic tubs. Make sure they have food and water at all times and clean it frequently. You should have some kind of controlled heater until they get baby feathers. I hope this helps. ❣️

Hi, so I have got a swan egg that I want to hatch but I have never hatched one before and have no idea about the hatch process so if anyone here has any experience I would be greatful, like like lockdowns, raising the chicks, best temperature. Anything really I’m very new to swans thanks for any replies
Have you ever had any type of egg in an incubator?
Which incubator do you have?

I also wanted to add that 30 some years ago I incubated some Canada geese and fed too high a protein food and a couple had wing droop the vet said it was from too much protein in the food I was giving them after they hatched so I started pulling grass and they loved it. Swans also love grass.

I can tell you one other thing my eggs are so big that they don't fit in a conventional incubator. These eggs from our mute swans are 5 inches long sometimes a bit larger.

Back
Top Bottom