Swan Requirements?

Dec1an

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hi all

I am looking to get a pair of black swans, but am unsure of what they require as far as housing. I have 15 acres and a lake so space and things to do for them shouldnt be a problem.

Also do you need to clip their wings? I assume they would fly away otherwise. Clipping their wings would seem a great hassle so is there a way to stop those particular feathers growing?

Any help will be much appriciated

Get swans that have been pinioned(tip of the wing cut off to about the wrist) as cygnets, that way you wont have to clip wings ever.

The breeder I got my Shelducks from failed to do that and them suckers are hard to catch for clipping wings every 6-8 months.

Thanks for that! It may sound stupid but ive ordered some toulouse goslings for spring next year. but surely they are too big to fly?
I have Chinese and Romans and they can not fly a foot off the ground so i do not think yours will be able to fly either.

Last edited:
Thanks Dec1an.
my question is...
what type of water source will they choose?
I have 3 ponds , one is about 4 feet deep at the deepest part and is about a 1/4 th of an acer and is in a very safe area, my geese use this pond.
the second pond is about the same size as the first but is 12 foot deep at the deepest and it has drop off sides an 3 sides, this pond will not be safe at night but OK in the daytime my ducks prefer this pond.
The third pond is like a giant fish pond, not very deep, grassy sides i have trouble keeping clean and none of my water fowl use this pond after an alligator ate one of them.

I am wanting to free range the swans like all my other water fowl, will they come up to the safe zone with the other birds or will they want to stay on the pond?

Will swans fly off if their wings are not clipped or pinioned?

I think the type of Swans you get will dictate their requirements. I have Black swans..which I would highly recommend for beginners...those with other fowl or those with children. Mine spend a good time on land sell as in the water. I believe mutes spend much more time in the water. They like ponds with soft slopes for easy getting in and out on those wobbly legs and feet. They like.foraging on water plants so I assume the shallower ponds would give good access. Id definItely get rid of the bator...lol. And yes..they may fly off.if not pinoned or clipped.

Back
Top Bottom