Swedes? Rouens? Golden 300 Hybrids? Duckling ID

I would say blue swedish could still be right. There are some, usually crosses, but some blue swedish look like that as ducklings. They are quite light in color so I would say they will be "splash" colored when they feather.
Please post pics as they grow because I am interested to see too :)
I had some blue swedish/welsh harlequins hatch last summer (it was a special breeding request from someone) and the ducklings that hatched looked very similar to these.

Guess it will be a wait and see...lol...but if they are something interesting I will post pics.

They are wild color...even have the four dots like baby rouens or mallards but they are extremely hard to see because the body color is so light. Looking in the ducky bible they seem to be a light pastel or more likely a blue fawn coloration. If they are runners ill be happy...rouens not so much unless rouens can hold their own in the egg laying dept.

A duck keeping friend of mine said perhaps...tractor supply didn't know what they were and the black ones look like swedes.....the black ones all have black shading...the ducklings in question...brown shading....sex link maybe?...my buddy is betting on golden 300 hybrids...if u look at metzer site the males are black and look like swedes...females are brown shades and can have eye stripes....

Has anyone ever seen Golden 300 or Gold star hybrids at a TSC?

So question is now are these ducks?

1. Poorly bred Swedes
2. Blue Fawn or Pastel Rouens
3. Golden 200 hybrids
4. A weird hatchery mistake

Last edited:
A duck keeping friend of mine said perhaps...tractor supply didn't know what they were and the black ones look like swedes.....the black ones all have black shading...the ducklings in question...brown shading....sex link...my buddy is betting on golden 300 hybrids...if u look at metzer site the males are black abd look like swedes...females are brown shades and can have eye stripes....has anyone had golden 300s? Or links to good pics???
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-golden-300-hybrid-black-swedish-we-have-eggs scroll down you'll see pics of Golden 300 duckling

Last edited:
Update...the ducklings in question seem to walk a little more upright than the black swedes but not as upright as runners. I am guessing that they are about a week and a half old. But the black swede looking ducks are definitely black toned...and these are definitely brown toned. They seem about the same size as the black swedes right now...

After much research...the color is either blue fawn or pastel...wild genotype...I'm still hoping for better egg layers than rouens...I supply duck eggs to my little corner of the world and demand is increasing...lol

We purchased the same exact type of ducklings from our TSC as well. They are now about 3 weeks old. The black ones have black, white and mallard type tail feathers. The grey ones are two different colors. The female is kind of grey and wild mallard color, the male very pretty grey with no wild coloring. Still the stage of feathers coming in and baby down. And yes, ours do tend to stand tall like runner ducks (not the male). I think they are mixed but still cuties. Were told blue and black Suedes (gotta love spelling)

Update with pics to follow as the ducklings are fully feathered. As TSC said...the black ones are black swedes and they all quack so they are girls. The gray ducklings are feathering out to be blue fawn colored. They are still the same size as the swedes so they will be larger ducks. One has a dark bill and quacks...one the bill has lightened and is raspy so a drake. the remaining duck has a bill in between the others and has a raspy peep like girls before they quack so unknown right now. So it looks like these may be blue fawn rouens.
Right now they are colored exactly like a female mallard...dark eye stripes,white underwing...only the plumage is a bit more reddish than a mallard and the penciling is a blue gray instead of black. The speculums are growing in a dark blue gray color.

I think they might all be crosses. The swedish shouldnt have eye stripes if they are pure and it looks like they do (or at least that one in the back).
The others look like crosses too. If you cross khaki campbell and rouen, or rouen and welsh harlequin you can get offspring colored similar to that.

Back
Top Bottom