SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
thank you, i love them, they yell at me every morning lol gotta figure out which one of the blues is a boy, they're living in my basement till spring lol

Hopefully the girls will start quacking sometime after 4 weeks old. Can take up to 6 weeks of age before they quack though.

I've found that the males are a bit bigger from a reasonably young age too.

70%... i will try to get a better picture , now taht you say that it does look more brown than black. they are very skiddish so i try not to chase them around ya know . lucky insists on being right under your feet like my chickens, they will come around over time i hope . but know i guess they just don't know me that well yet. so is there ever choclate males? or is that the black version of a female?

is there a way to tell a male from a female this young? or do i need to wait and see if they get the little curl on top of their tail or lay an egg to be sure?
something visual? feet beak ? or markings on their heads / shape of the head?
hu.gif

Quote:
The reason I said it's probably a female is because you only need one chocolate/brown dilution gene to turn a black duck chocolate. But you need two chocolate/brown dilution genes to turn a black DRAKE chocolate. This is because the chocolate/brown dilution gene is a sex-linked recessive gene. Sex linked means that it is carried on the Z chromosome. Ducks only have one Z, so only need one dose of the gene to be chocolate. Drakes have two Z's and need two doses of the gene to be chocolate. So, it definitely could be a drake, but the probability is that it's a duck.

Back
Top Bottom