swedish flower and speckled sussex

kefiren

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2011
On the windy MA/NH border
my goal to have a flock of speckled chickens that lay brown eggs. i have raised speckled sussex in the past and like their personality. i've also been really interested in the developments concerning the swedes.

well, i know i haven't much luck at hatching shipped eggs. i ordered a dozen of each. what i got was 3 sussex and one swede.

it has been interesting raising them right next to each other. don't know if anyone else has done this.

the swede had a bit of trouble at first with curled toes. that fixed itself within 24 hours. and then he began to grow fast, far outpacing the growth of the sussex. he also has a much wilder/active personality, compared to the laid-back sussex. at one point he was twice as big as the smallest of the sussex. he began to crow a few weeks ago, at 5 WEEKS OLD. he has no crest but looks like he might look like this:

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/c/ce/ceb40f88_july2012022.jpeg

so, should i put the swede roo over my sussex hens? do these breeds have anything to offer each other? what will happen color-wise? do their speckled genes "line up" so that the babies will be speckled? will the variable colors of the swede get overidden?

thanks for any opinions, info, and guesses--educated and otherwise!

Any update on this? I currently have two swedish flower hens and a speckled sussex roo, so I was pondering this cross.

Update? I have two speckled Sussex hens that I've been trying to find a roo for. I cannot seem to find any ss roos but I do have an opportunity to get a swedish flower roo and contemplating the crossing of the two.

I've just done this, Swedish flower roo over speckled sussex hens. Babies are about 4 weeks now. Depends on the coloring genetics of that particular rooster, mine should be lighter speckled sussex. Curious to see how they grow. Hatched out very well.

I've just done this, Swedish flower roo over speckled sussex hens. Babies are about 4 weeks now. Depends on the coloring genetics of that particular rooster, mine should be lighter speckled sussex. Curious to see how they grow. Hatched out very well.

Do you have any pics of how they turned out?

Back
Top Bottom