Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Thanks! would the other one then be considered black based mille fleur? I think both were supposed to be blue based but I didn't think either was but I can now see some blue in there now that I look a little closer. I was thinking they were redish-brown based. This breed is so complex! :p

I'm pretty confident the black one is a roo now.

Yep, he is cute.
smile.png

Do anyone else's Swedish flower hens all take turns in the same nesting box??
It's the funniest thing. I see them go in and out of different boxes but they all (4 girls) are laying their eggs in the same box.

It's the funniest thing. I see them go in and out of different boxes but they all (4 girls) are laying their eggs in the same box.

My hens of other breeds tend to do this, but my SFH seem intent upon finding the most secluded places possible to lay eggs. I just found 19 SFH eggs on top of hay bales in the barn. I'm not quite sure how they made it the 15 feet to the top of the bales. Clever girls.
th.gif

My hens of other breeds tend to do this, but my SFH seem intent upon finding the most secluded places possible to lay eggs.  I just found 19 SFH eggs on top of hay bales in the barn.  I'm not quite sure how they made it the 15 feet to the top of the bales.  Clever girls.  :th

Wow that was quite the surprise for you! Interesting you mention it since our girls like the low box in the very corner. Tucked away like you said! This morning each time I went by, a dif girl was in the box

Not a SFH (Queen Silvia), I couldn't figure out where she was laying...until I saw this tail sticking out of a flower pot.
Guess she thought nobody could see her since she couldn't see anybody.

All the time.
smile.png

Not the SFH but other girls. I have two that will get in the box together. And I've heard of one hen getting in the box on top of the other to lay her egg.
tongue.png
I think when they know their friends lay their it makes them feel like it's safe. I have some boxes never get used while others are used all day.
hu.gif
Side by side.

@cree57i

Too cute.
love.gif

I'm ordering 3 Swedish Flower Hens from MyPetChicken.com. What can ANYONE tell me about their: 1). Personality, 2). The color of EGGS (I've heard Cream, Tan, Light Brown, and Pink! I've ordered them with my 1st. Flock. Can't find much on SFH from MPC. HELP!

I'm ordering 3 Swedish Flower Hens from MyPetChicken.com. What can ANYONE tell me about their: 1). Personality, 2). The color of EGGS (I've heard Cream, Tan, Light Brown, and Pink! I've ordered them with my 1st. Flock. Can't find much on SFH from MPC. HELP!

Hi - our SFH are the only chickens we've had so I can't compare to others, but, ours are inquisitive and friendly yet will spook easily. One hen in particular will always come over to see what I'm doing. Eggs so far range from a cream/light tan to almost white. They are on the small side but our just started laying recently.

First snow - the chickens were not amused! Ha. We had our first storm with actual accumulation the other day. It was only about a half inch of snow but the chickens were rather intimidated and did not want to leave their coop. When it had started to melt a bit and I put some snacks out for them they finally came out to investigate.

Back
Top Bottom