Swedish Flower Hen Thread

there is a snoleopard chick standing next to what will likely be a mille fluer colored chick. The one closer to my hand is the mille fluer while the other is the snoleopard
I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is. They look pretty much the same to me. Is it that bit of orange feathering on the one by your hand that makes you think it's a mille fluer? That's the only difference I can see in the two. I'm new to this breed and have no idea what kind mine are.

For me, my chicks color changed as they grew in. But this is my fist SFH adventure. And I am still learning all the colors as well.

I thought SL was devoid of any color other than cream on either a dark or white base.
hu.gif

For me, my chicks color changed as they grew in. But this is my fist SFH adventure. And I am still learning all the colors as well.

I thought SL was devoid of any color other than cream on either a dark or white base. :confused:

My SL girls would have been Mille fluer but the red is muted. However with each molt my original SL hen seems to express more orange each year!

Last edited:
the lighter color is the difference. Where the one chick is red/orange the other is more a tan/wheat color. The lighter colored chick is considered snoleopard.
Is it possible that the BI gene responsible for dilluting black to blue could affect the Mh as well?

Beautiful birds!
the blue gene does tend to lighten the red to a more orangey color. The blue is not what makes a snoleopard though as the rest of most snoleopard are black and white although someone did post a pic of a blue based snoleopard a little while back.

Last edited:
The roosters are pretty big. Around 8 lbs full grown or a bit bigger based on the line I've got. Not sure what to compare them to but mine have ranged from Ameraucana size on up.

So would this be considered mille fleur? I have no idea.
hmm.png
My pair are 7.5 weeks old. I'm still thinking the black one might be a boy, but a slow developing one. He's actually smaller sizewise than the lighter one but the comb and wattle tells a different story.

Last edited:
So would this be considered mille fleur? I have no idea. :/ My pair are 5.5 weeks old. I'm still thinking the black one might be a boy, but a slow developing one. He's actually smaller sizewise than the lighter one but the comb and wattle tells a different story.
the 2nd pic is definitely a young cockerel. The first pic of both, the left looks to be a blue based mille fluer color

the 2nd pic is definitely a young cockerel. The first pic of both, the left looks to be a blue based mille fluer color
Thanks! would the other one then be considered black based mille fleur? I think both were supposed to be blue based but I didn't think either was but I can now see some blue in there now that I look a little closer. I was thinking they were redish-brown based. This breed is so complex! :p

I'm pretty confident the black one is a roo now.

Last edited:
Thanks! would the other one then be considered black based mille fleur? I think both were supposed to be blue based but I didn't think either was but I can now see some blue in there now that I look a little closer. I was thinking they were redish-brown based. This breed is so complex! :p
the base colors for Swedish flowers are going to be black, blue, or splash. The other colors are from different genes. Typically blue and black are your most commonly seen and then you will see the red and white colored ones but most of the time (in experience at least) they throw all blue chicks which means they are genetically a splash.

Back
Top Bottom