Swedish Flower Hen Thread

she sounds lovely - have you posted a photo of her on here somewhere? This is my lovely Venka, laying an egg a day again now :p (and her beau Sven)
P1070477.JPG

Lovely birds! I had posted a picture of Elsa (post #12607) back in the summer when I was concerned about her being a rooster. At that time, you had just determined "Sarah" was actually"Sven." He is quite a beautiful rooster! Here is a more recent picture of Elsa-not the best.
Elsa.gif

she's lovely! A darker grey than Britt (my avatar), and with a pencil-line round her feathers - very striking. You've reminded me that Sven was bought as a pullet! Maybe the two of them will produce some offspring this summer...:clap Now I've seen 3 roos grow up I'm beginning to understand what to look for in order to sex young birds, but I've no confidence in it :hmm and I'd definitely still ask on here for help!

Thank you. I love that you never know what you might get with SFH. I was expecting more of the brown shades, but I love the grey/silver/white coloring. Britt has beautiful coloring! Good luck on getting some babies!

I was concerned that Elsa was a roo when she was a bit younger-she had some of the behavior traits of a rooster, but not so much the physical traits. She is for sure a pullet, but still is the one who works in the background to protect the others. She is the one that the girls run to if they are afraid of a new sound, or if there is something new in the coop or run (like a hanging apple or a new type of herb). Elsa is the first to try any new delicacy to give her seal of approval. I always have to laugh- the others (except for Chloe, an Easter Egger who has always been by Elsa's side) busily "clean" the inside of their coop daily-scratching and moving their bedding around- while Elsa sits on the top perch and walks back and forth "supervising." She even makes noises that sound like "good work" or "you missed a spot." (We have a baby monitor camera in their coop, so we can spy on them!) They are so funny!

Here are a couple of pictures of my flowers, Buttercup and Westley. I would like to know
1. What do you call the hen’s color pattern if there’s a name for it? (she is actually a little lighter than in the picture)
and 2. My roo is crested, the hen isn’t. I have ordered two more female chicks for April - should I request chicks without crest? I remember reading something about problems in breeding two crested birds. Thanks!
AB78F3EA-D342-4B99-A027-D57F33769CA1.jpeg
24A637E1-668D-4504-830B-0A0E5908AB7C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom