Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Yeah, I did that too. There is blood in her stool now, last time she passed one; it's been a while.

Her crop is full of medicated water and feed slurry, but she won't even open her eyes now. I suspect she will be gone by morning. Or course, it is a girl. And the most beautiful one. Thank you Murphy. Ugh.

ETA: the stools in the brooder (of course, I immediately changed the brooder and cleaned it out) look normal, with everyone looking bright and alert, but I will leave them on Corid this week then go back to giving them their vitamin water after that.
Baby chick looks awful. I hate to give up, before the medication had a whole day to work, but I hate wondering if she is suffering.

ETA2: it just occurred to me that only SFH chicks do this to me. This one originated from GF. But not one I hatched here of any breed has gotten sick like this, Hrm.

Last edited:
Now I'm obsessively watching the others. One other -- I think it's a roo -- has his feathers fluffed and was shutting his eyes, but everyone, including him, vigorously ate and drank this morning when I refilled the dishes. The stools still look good, including the little roo's. Hopefully it all blows over in a day or two.

That medicated feed makes their stools smell. Yuck.

SunnySkies, I'm sorry to hear about your girl.

I'm just joining the chicken world and we have two Swedish Flower pullets. They're just adorable and I can't wait to see how they grow and change. I posted pictures in my intro thread, but one is mostly black and the other is orangey-red.

Now I'm obsessively watching the others. One other -- I think it's a roo -- has his feathers fluffed and was shutting his eyes, but everyone, including him, vigorously ate and drank this morning when I refilled the dishes. The stools still look good, including the little roo's. Hopefully it all blows over in a day or two.

That medicated feed makes their stools smell. Yuck.
So sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
You have not had good luck trying to get your flock started. I hope the rest survive and thrive.
fl.gif

I would like to know if there is anyone close to north alabama or southern tennessee that has any swedish flower hens for sale??

So sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
You have not had good luck trying to get your flock started. I hope the rest survive and thrive.
fl.gif
No kidding. It's really discouraging. As I was watching them this morning, I thought if the lot drops from this (although I suspect the oldest will survive, and of course, a roo), I just might give up. But so far, so good. I go stare at them every so often, and while a couple have ruffled feathers, the stools look normal, everyone is eating well, and they are scratching around in the brooder. I think, in order to diversify the gene pool, each hen and roo will be crossed, I'll hatch eggs from everyone, and then decide who to cull, especially if I only have 3 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom