Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Well, everyone else seems to be healthy today, no ruffled feathers even. They will stay on Corid until Saturday then back to normal. I tried them with fermented feed and nobody ate it, so I abandoned it.

The only way I can explain exposure is that clean-looking dish I brought in might have had a few coccidia on it simply from the chicken dust from the older birds, and the one with the lowest immune system got sick. It was clean, as in no poop, but I store chicken stuff all together, and chicken dust gets on everything. When we build a big coop, I'm planning a separate room entirely for equipment. My kids also have gotten to where they like to go check for eggs, and it's possible one of them was in the nest boxes then came around later and played with babies and didn't wash, even though I'm pretty insistent on hand washing before playing with the babies and afterwards for one's health.

I kind of wonder if I have a bunch of roos though....the oldest one definitely is (and his attitude fits his name, which is Wasp, as he is rather aggressive when you go into the brooder, coming at my hand a bit, and pecked me this morning when I was giving them new feed) but everyone else except the tiny, youngest one seems to have developed combs overnight. I am hoping it was just a growth spurt and they are all pullets.
Glad to hear things are looking up.
hugs.gif
Post some pictures when you can, especially of the heads showing combs and wattles, and we'll help you figure out the sexes.
wink.png
Try sprinkling some of their regular feed on top of the fermented feed. It will smell familiar and get them to try it.
old.gif
After a couple of times, they should dig right in without the top dressing.

WOOHOO!!! i can now officially join you guys! LOL

I now have, sitting in the brooder behind me (because it's too icky outside to go find a place for them right now) 4 gorgeous SFH!!! 2 crested red/white/blue roos, 1 crested red/white/blue girl, and one uncrested blue/white girl. 8)

they are NOT gonna like this icky freezing rain/snow/crap we have going on right now, having just travelled from the balmy state of Alabama. LOL

I now have, sitting in the brooder behind me (because it's too icky outside to go find a place for them right now) 4 gorgeous SFH!!! 2 crested red/white/blue roos, 1 crested red/white/blue girl, and one uncrested blue/white girl. 8)

they are NOT gonna like this icky freezing rain/snow/crap we have going on right now, having just travelled from the balmy state of Alabama. LOL
wee.gif
clap.gif

ya.gif

And... ki4got also has at least one SFH chick that just hatched today.
fl.gif
that more hatch, leaving her with a whole flock of SFHs!!
big_smile.png

PHOTOS!!!!!!
i was gettin' to it! give me a couple minutes!

blue and white uncrested hen (who wouldn't stand up like a normal chicken)

blue mille fleur crested hen (or should be when she's growed up)

black neck crested roo

red neck crested roo. ok make your jokes... think i like him best. 8)

Back
Top Bottom