Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I am new to SFH and hatched my first, which was a bonus egg, several weeks ago. I have wanted these birds since I saw them on Greenfire farms in 2010. Last weekend hatched the most beautiful, healthy and curious chicks from bulldogma. I put my broody silkie on the eggs and every single egg hatched!! Now I am ready to switch from silkies to SFHs. These are the cutest, sweetest chicks ever!

My white Silkie was the same way. I finally took two small bowls and put food and water where she could reach them from the nest. My black Silkie comes off the nest 2ce a day - perhaps a slightly smarter bird - LOL. All 5 of her eggs are looking good and are due starting tomorrow (though I've found SFH eggs need to be given up to 3 extra days - possibly even a little more. Broodys are the way to go, though! No worries about humidity or power outages!

I put some food and water next to her, and she turned her back on them, silly girl. She complains every time I open her coop, lol. She is a bitty little thing, so I really hope she is sneaking out to eat when I'm not looking. Silkies are not smart, but she is doing a great job so far.

I am new to SFH and hatched my first, which was a bonus egg, several weeks ago. I have wanted these birds since I saw them on Greenfire farms in 2010. Last weekend hatched the most beautiful, healthy and curious chicks from bulldogma. I put my broody silkie on the eggs and every single egg hatched!! Now I am ready to switch from silkies to SFHs. These are the cutest, sweetest chicks ever!

Great to see you here, Dreamflock! You need to post pictures of your babies!!
big_smile.png

Two of the new babies. They came from GF last week, and I finally picked them up today. The other two are darker, one being black (with yellow legs).

e96a4f9e8b7f38c1f4cdd0d2973f1018.jpg

If these do well and my broody succeeds, I will have 16....wonder how many are boys, lol.

Two of the new babies. They came from GF last week, and I finally picked them up today. The other two are darker, one being black (with yellow legs).

e96a4f9e8b7f38c1f4cdd0d2973f1018.jpg

If these do well and my broody succeeds, I will have 16....wonder how many are boys, lol.
Adorable!! Congrats
celebrate.gif
You are finally getting your SFH flock!
wee.gif

Adorable!! Congrats
celebrate.gif
You are finally getting your SFH flock!
wee.gif
It has been quite the haul! I hope I have eggs to pass on, like many people have done for me, in the fall. But hooking up with the BYcer you introduced me to was the key to it all...she passes the SFH chicks n to me that end up in the assortments she wins off rarebreedsauction. They seem to add 3-6 every so often and she doesn't want them. I am more than happy to take them off her hands ;)

Originally Posted by PugBug

Chicken Chain:

Copy and paste this post and add your location on the bottom:

Bulldogma - Near Greatna, VA (1 hr from Roanoke, VA / 2 hours from Greensboro, NC / 3 hours from Johnson City, TN)

TarheelBirdy - Liberty, NC (In the Triad area; 15 minutes from Greensboro, NC and Burlington, NC; 1 hr from RDU).

Bernie56 - Fairburn, Ga. (Atlanta metro; near Hartsfeild/Jackson Int. Airport)

jbarrett - Groveland, FL ( 1 hr north of Orlando, 1 hr south of Ocala

pugbug- Independence, La (1 hr from Baton Rouge, 1 1/2 hr from New Orleans)

Dahlisgrams - Eastern Long Island, NY. Fairly convenient access to the Cross Sound Ferry terminal to New London, CT.

NW Chick Gal - Hayward, WI (Northwestern Wisconsin, 2 hours southeast of Duluth, MN)

Uh oh...trouble may be brewing in paradise. I went out to check on my broody, who had three eggs this AM, and found her arguing with another hen over whose eggs they are....with one of the SFH eggs smashed :( and a Silkie eggs, new-laid, under her. I need to take the other hen out of the coop entirely.

There was an embryo in there :( so they are developing.

Temporary crisis aversion....I grabbed an egg from the box on the counter and gave the new egg and the one off the counter to the new wanna-be broody and now both have 2 eggs. I am sick about the crushed SFH egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom