Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote:
I'm an attorney by trade, so I definitely did my legal homework.

Nuts and bolts of it, the dog was a breed the isn't even legal to own in my county, which in an of its self should have resulted in the dog being put down immediately. However, she had just had puppies and I was concerned for their health and well being. She was not being feed the way a nursing mother should and I think that is most likely why she decided that my animals were a good secondary source of food.

The most aggravating thing about the whole mess is that I lost my last bird in the 3 day gap between filing the complaint with animal control and when they finally came out. Thankfully the dog is now gone (it was gone 2 days later).

I am grateful that that episode is now in the past. However, the lesson I have learned is that I will not have any pity on the starving dog should it ever happen again. 1 dead chicken = animal control involved immediately.

So sorry your neighbors were so... (you know) about this!! And so sorry you had more losses!

I'm happy to hear you still have a good foundation for your flock. Looking forward to seeing photos in the near future.

First and most important... after the recent trauma I got eggs, for the first time in few weeks, today.

Meet Duke...

Whitey

Biscut and an unnamed silkie

Unnamed chick

And my favorite Moe... for the awesome mohawk he sports.

Lastly, this little chick is in the sick bin right now cause she was limping and her foot appears a little swollen. My son let her out and tried to keep it a secret... resulting in her deciding to roost on the highest spot she could find... his Optimus Prime Fort.

I've been lurking and trying to learn about this breed. I'm trying to figure out their colors and who to breed who to.

My five hens:

My two roos:

What I'm wanting is more black hens like the first one and would like to have some ginger hens. Do I have a possibility of getting such with this flock?

I've been lurking and trying to learn about this breed. I'm trying to figure out their colors and who to breed who to.

My five hens:

My two roos:

What I'm wanting is more black hens like the first one and would like to have some ginger hens. Do I have a possibility of getting such with this flock?
Yes, you do. The bottom roo is black-based as are the first and third pullets. So black-based -with black-based will produce black-based. But remember, there are so many other genes in play with SFH that you can still get many different colors that overlay the base.

For ginger hens, the top roo is white-based or splash. The fourth and fifth hens are splash as well. The fourth pullet and the top roo would give you the best chance for ginger. The following chart can help in getting where you want but it is focused on the underlying base color.

Have fun!

Last edited:

My five hens:

My two roos:

the first boy will produce only splash and blues, since he is a splash...
the second boy is a black, and will produce blacks and blues from the girls... but I would probably break them up into 2 groups, hatch for a while, then swap roos, and that will give you greater diversity in your flock, so that not everyone is by the same sire.

see, when they asked ginger, this is the one I thought they meant... which is a standard 'mille' girl. also black based.

the blue/splash will dilute the reds slightly but IMO the bolder colors come from the blacks, blues are more pastel, splash look washed out and 'dirty' more often than not to me.

Thanks HaplessRunner and KI4Got for your help. I was planning on splitting them up like you suggested. So the second hen should go with the 2nd roo to get more blues, correct?

Thanks HaplessRunner and KI4Got for your help. I was planning on splitting them up like you suggested. So the second hen should go with the 2nd roo to get more blues, correct?
That pairing of a black-based roo and blue-based pullet will result in 50% black based and 50% blue based. If you use the white cockerel and a black-based pullet it will result in all blue-based. White and blue based will result in 50% blue-based and 50% white-based. Just follow the chart!
tongue.png

I have some sad news to report... I have a batch of Leigh's eggs hatching as I speak, and I think I just witnessed the hatching of what is probably the UGLIEST SFH baby in the history of chickendom! to preserve the sanity of the average public, he may not ever leave my property. especially if it's a SHE...

here's a pic of the ugly sfh chickling...

*for those who may take me too literally... it's not a SFH like I expected, but a black silkie...
lau.gif

she's on my desk, only briefly, because she was on the outer corner of the incubator that always seems to cause slight shrink wrapping so I popped the cap and she climbed out dragging her shell by a piece of membrane till I peeled it off... now back in the hatcher with 3 more sfh that have hatched in the last couple hours. I expect a good many more overnight... there are 4 sfh in the brooder already with 1 ee, a cochin and a dorking-dotte (and 4 older chicks from last week -cochins)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom