Swedish Flower Hen Thread

First 2 of 12 so far!!!!!

Congrats everybody who has chicks hatching!
Wildhorseannie - I'm keeping my fingers crossed you don't lose power!!
RedRidge - love your new avatar pic! I'll just let you know - the full sister of those two follows us around the yard and LOVES to be held! Friendliest chick ever! (She's currently about 12 weeks old).

Hi guys!

I'm new here, well longtime reader first time poster ^.~" Anyways we just got into SFH and I must say they are quite endearing! We raise Ameraucana's as well as Wyandottes and recently Faverolles. I really didn't know much about the breed but someone near by(well 1.5hrs but thats near since I hve driven much further for birds/livestock lol) and I though that the molting patern would be a great project bird pattern! I was originally going to try and cross the mille fleur to get the pattern (I believe it is a recessive trait?) but with the SFH I now have a full size bird to try that out with. I had read about them a little bit to find that they are a rarer breed so when I went to go pick up the chicks I ended up buying them all and figured I should continue the pure crossings for now. The breeder got her 3 pairs from Greenfire so should be good I think.

The problem I'm having is I really can not tell for the life of me between cockrel/pullet They are 6wks or so and I can definitely tell who is crested but everyone seems to have about the same size comb and they are all pink. I'm used to sexing Ameraucanas at this age but it's usually by hackle feathers or the saddle feathers.. Neither which I can tell.

Also there is the issue that 2 of the black birds have "off yellow" legs.. I thought they were always supposed to have yellow, but at the same time since it is mostly black I just don't know.

I'll post pictures here in a moment if I can figure that out! lol and hopefully someone might know which are m/f =)

Thanks!! Oh and I read pretty much this entire thread over the last few days!! I'm so excited to have these guys truely neat birds!

I swear just about all of these guys look like roos >.< Also whats up with all the white? Are these mostly splashes? I was looking for the molted pattern mostly not really splash although I love them all so I guess it wouldn't matter too much as long as there is a molted gene in there somewhere!

Crested Roo?

Little crested pullet?

Standing tall like a roo but he was also stretching to see the others waiting for their picture lol

I'm pretty certain this one is a crested pullet, but the legs have darker coloring ?

Maybe pullet?

No idea =/ Saddle feathers/tail look like a roo to me

He pecks at me! So I'm thinking roo!

Crested ? Stands like a roo but really no comb?

Roo based on how it's standing?

Another one with a smaller crest but no idea on if it's pullet/roo

Opps this is the wrong picture can't see her head (pullet I was thinking)

Crested pullet?

I swear just about all of these guys look like roos >.< Also whats up with all the white? Are these mostly splashes? I was looking for the molted pattern mostly not really splash although I love them all so I guess it wouldn't matter too much as long as there is a molted gene in there somewhere!

Crested Roo?

Little crested pullet?

Standing tall like a roo but he was also stretching to see the others waiting for their picture lol

I'm pretty certain this one is a crested pullet, but the legs have darker coloring ?

Maybe pullet?

Crested pullet?
Welcome! I know that you will enjoy these birds. You've got some really nice ones as well. I don't think you have any splash. I think you will be surprised at how much color you will end up with. SFH's usually start out with a lot of white and the color, and the mottling, shows up as they mature. It's hard to tell sex from some of these photos, but I'll give you my guesses...
#1 Pullet
#2 ?
#3 Rooster
#4 Pullet
#5 ?
#6 Rooster
#7 ?
#8 Pullet
#9 Pullet
#10 ?
#11 ? Pullet
#12 Pullet
Good luck!

Hey Little Foxx, WELCOME!!! and you have some gorgeous birds there.
The storm seems to have passed, but I have lost power.
just hoping for the best at this point.

Do you have any of those hand warmers hunters use? Put them in the incubator to keep it warm, up next to where the hatching eggs are.
fl.gif
for your babies.

And welcome to Little Foxx too - I would love to hear what others say on your beautiful bird's genders. I haven't had much luck guessing my 4 yet either - its wait and see for me. I did get one boy right with the last batch, but this batch has me confused.

Crested Roo?

Little crested pullet?

Maybe pullet?

Crested pullet?
welcome-byc.gif
and the SFH thread!
frow.gif
The crested roos can take until 9 -10 weeks before you know for sure (darn sneaky little things!), but the appearance of obvious wattles is usually a dead giveaway. The legs on some of my blue/black based SFH have some black mottling on them. From what I have read, yellow, pink and black mottling are all common leg colors, although I can't say I have seen anyone in the US that has any pink-legged ones. Here are my guesses.

#1 Cockerel
#2 Cockerel?
#3 Pullet
#4 Pullet
#5 Pullet
#6 Cockerel
#7 Pullet
#8 Pullet?
#9 Pullet
#10 Cockerel
#11 ?
#12 Pullet

Do you have any of those hand warmers hunters use? Put them in the incubator to keep it warm, up next to where the hatching eggs are.
fl.gif
for your babies.
If you don't have any hand warmers and the power outage looks like it will be extended, get a large rock and heat it in a gas oven or grill until it is just warm and put that in the bator. Keep another one warm to switch out as it cools.

Back
Top Bottom