Swedish Flower Hen Thread

ki4got - at barely 20 weeks they should be laying? I was mentally prepared for more like 24-26 weeks...
I really hope you're wrong that they're both boys! That would be crushing.
no, I was saying that only a hen that IS laying would have that large of a comb

I think what she means is with that red of a face they should be laying. And at 5 months - they are not ready to lay. I have one at 6 months that is starting to get red - I was saying girl for a long time and now I am not so certain. Sure hope "she" lays an egg soon...otherwise
sad.png

I haven't ever seen a juvie boy with the multi pattern before. Ki4got - do you have a picture of him at 6 or 7 months old? I have an adult that had the multi pattern, but he was already getting rooster feathers when I got him so it was obvious.
ok re the comment about hens, I was saying, that only a laying hen would have that much comb and wattle, therefore, since it's not laying, and only 5 months old, therefore I think it's a roo.

and are you asking about this guy? this is Gunnarsson... my primary roo now.
LL

the pic below was taken last month, 2 months after the one above.

Leigh's Gunson was almost identical (and rehomed last month).

Thx TXFlowers and Bernie - here are some better photos of my two - the multi and gray. Based on what you've said they're both likely pullets. Hooray!

The multi as you are calling it is known as mille fleur pattern. It is one on the predominant patterns in SFH. A rooster with this pattern can truly be a spectacular sight! This is Harley. He is a Gunnar-Ginger son from Bulldogma.

This is my mille fleur SFH pullet. She is 1.5 months older than this picture now.

Last edited:
The multi as you are calling it is known as mille fleur pattern. It is one on the predominat patterns in SFH. A rooster with this pattern can truly be a spectacular sight! This is Harley. He is a Gunnar-Ginger son from Bulldogma.
And full brother to Gunnarsson. 8) that pair threw awesome roos! now crossing fingers that sons take after father.

ok, best guess, I keep getting 25 or 26 but counting by myself with that many chicks running around...
3 are mille fleur cochins, 1 is a cochin/ee mix, the rest are SFH!
ya.gif

so 21-22 sfh chicks, 10 are from wildhorseannie's eggs, the rest are by leigh's new roo, Sorenson (crested, red splash/white). her chicks are either splash or blues. Annie's chicks range from splash/buff looking to black and white penguins.

I am so excited for all of you and your adorable birds... But I want some! LOL Can anyone direct me to a source of chicks or preferably started birds? I would rather not incubate for right now. I just ran a bunch in the incubator, and out of 16 eggs, i got 2 chicks and one of those was an assisted hatch. I am thinking I have some incubator issues and it just kills me to get the really late quitters....

ki4got - at barely 20 weeks they should be laying? I was mentally prepared for more like 24-26 weeks...
I really hope you're wrong that they're both boys! That would be crushing.
My first SFH pullet laid her first egg at 19.5 weeks. I do think it depends on what time of year they were hatched though. She was a February hatch, the girls from an August hatch were closer to 27 weeks. I have some pullets that were hatched on April 23, 2013 that have just started laying. Their first egg was at 23 weeks. You should be really close to your first egg! I don't think you have anything to worry about. Keep us posted.

I am so excited for all of you and your adorable birds... But I want some! LOL Can anyone direct me to a source of chicks or preferably started birds? I would rather not incubate for right now. I just ran a bunch in the incubator, and out of 16 eggs, i got 2 chicks and one of those was an assisted hatch. I am thinking I have some incubator issues and it just kills me to get the really late quitters....

Some of us are finding they can be difficult to hatch. Your best bet is to see if you can order chiks from Greenfire Farms or see if Papa Brooder here has any going unless any of us are close to you and have eggs or chicks going.

The chances of finding older birds..nil.

Back
Top Bottom