Swedish Flower Hen Thread

On this page there are lots of pictures of SFH and some of them seem to have colors not seen yet here. Some kind of recessive patterns, like BullDogMa's snow leopard?
http://www.swedishflowerchickens.com/
Squeek! They have Snoleopard birds!!!
wee.gif

I want to make sure I have the colors right - input is welcome

Obviously black based

Is this guy black-based MF?

I don't know what to call this one. Just MF?

Blue based? What is that dot of black on that one feather?

This is just funny, the CLB cockerel totally photobombed the picture.
This is the same pullet as above, is she blue based?

Is this a black based MF?

This cockerel, is he blue-based? If I breed him with the blue female will I get more blue and black based chicks?

I'm new to the SFH and loving the journey so far. Only I need more hens. MUST.HAVE.MORE...

Obviously black based

Is this guy black-based MF? - Black-based

I don't know what to call this one. Just MF? - Black-based

Blue based? What is that dot of black on that one feather? - Blue Based

This is just funny, the CLB cockerel totally photobombed the picture. - Blue-based
This is the same pullet as above, is she blue based?

Is this a black based MF? - Black-based

This cockerel, is he blue-based? If I breed him with the blue female will I get more blue and black based chicks? - Blue Based

I'm new to the SFH and loving the journey so far. Only I need more hens. MUST.HAVE.MORE...

As far as breeding goes for color-based outcomes, follow the following chart:

the key is looking at their TAIL AND WING feathers... a lot of times birds have melanizing factors that enhance the black pigment on the hackles, so that's not always a sure sign. melanizing factors don't affect the tails.

black is easy. in adult birds, it typically has a bit of a purple/blue/green iridescence to it, especially in roosters.
splash is also pretty easy usually... look at the tail feathers. if they're nearly all white(ish) with a few streaks here and there of blue or black, it's a splash (named for the 'splashes' of color here and there).
blues are the most variable and can range anywhere from a dark, nearly black, blue to a very light almost silver shade. the key to telling a blue is the UNIFORMITY of the color. if the majority of the tail feathers are any shade of blue and they're all the same, then it's a blue. the mottling may change the tips, but I'm talking about the basic color of the tail feathers. some blues are a solid uniform blue, others may have a darker edge to the feathers, bordering on almost black, but it's just the edging not the whole feather. in solid blue breeds, that is the preferred type of blue.

the only breed I have to compare the bbs colorations I'm talking about are my blrw, but this might give you some ideas...

black (laced red Wyandotte) pullet - you can see the iridescence I'm talking about...

next is the blue laced red wyandotte...
smee, my bantam roo, has the dark edging I'm talking about, while CD is a more uniform blue.

one of my own breeding, CD stood for Chicken Dinner but I bought him back from a friend when I lost a few blrw to predators.

you can see smee's dark outlines if you zoom in the pic. (CD at a younger age behind)

and Lacy's a splash (laced red Wyandotte)
zoomed in some to show the 'splashes' I was talking about...

even tho her hackles and head are much darker than the body/tail.
she carries melanizing factors that intensify the color on her head/neck.

Last edited:
the key is looking at their TAIL AND WING feathers... a lot of times birds have melanizing factors that enhance the black pigment on the hackles, so that's not always a sure sign. melanizing factors don't affect the tails.

black is easy. in adult birds, it typically has a bit of a purple/blue/green iridescence to it, especially in roosters.
splash is also pretty easy usually... look at the tail feathers. if they're nearly all white(ish) with a few streaks here and there of blue or black, it's a splash (named for the 'splashes' of color here and there).
blues are the most variable and can range anywhere from a dark, nearly black, blue to a very light almost silver shade. the key to telling a blue is the UNIFORMITY of the color. if the majority of the tail feathers are any shade of blue and they're all the same, then it's a blue. the mottling may change the tips, but I'm talking about the basic color of the tail feathers. some blues are a solid uniform blue, others may have a darker edge to the feathers, bordering on almost black, but it's just the edging not the whole feather. in solid blue breeds, that is the preferred type of blue.
I will go look, I think the first Cockerel has purple iridescence in his tail. Thank you for this information, I lurk on this thread and am learning a lot!

Its a fact that when breeding ccl or sweedish flower hens that when breeding crested to crested you run the genetic risk of creating birds with the skull deformity its all # as afar as how often that may happen do you understand? Like gambling or spinning a roullette wheel.
you do not come across in the way you write that what you are stating is just your opinion. you state it as a fact so what your now saying is that it is just your opinion that crested to crested is a lethal gene and that Swedish flower hens are not like normal chickens. It is a fact that the gene for the crest is not a lethal gene.

It all comes down to what you prefer. Yes the crested birds came from farms that were farther to the north but they are still Swedish flower hens and being bred and preserved in the country of origin. So why should we in the US change the breed by breeding away from the crested birds.

What your saying just doesn't make any sense.

Its a fact that when breeding ccl or sweedish flower hens that when breeding crested to crested you run the genetic risk of creating birds with the skull deformity its all # as afar as how often that may happen do you understand? Like gambling or spinning a roullette wheel.

Not going to start this issue again, but crested cream legbars breeding have no issues with the skull deformity that occasionally SFH are subject to. Although there are a few uncrested CLBs out there, the breed was crafted and breeds true as a crested breed.

Quote:
please lets not start this again... in the SFH vaulted skulls CAN happen, and it CAN cause problems in chicks. does it always? no but I wont take that chance, so I WILL NOT breed crested to crested. what others do is up to them. it's their time, effort, hatchability and survivability rates. not mine.

Back
Top Bottom