Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hay is for horses Ava!

But Mom, this nest can hold ALL my eggs!
D.gif

I lost my Sophia 2 days ago. She wedged herself between a lay pen and the outside wall and away from an attached heat lamp and froze.
sad.png
When I found her she was not completely stiff, so I brought her in gave her 6 warm baths. and put her near the wood stove, with hand warmers and heated bean bags,and I hoped for 5 hrs, but she was gone. she was 6 months old. I have since plugged the area. The other birds miss her she was a real beam of light to all.
I'm so sorry for your loss! She was beautiful!

Last week I picked up a couple 3 week old chicks from Txflower. She has been a dream in helping me get my flock going. Both of these chicks were real stand offish, running and hiding in the corner. The little Roo would run around in circles just a squawking. The wife and I had both decided that from now on we will get day olds or hatch our own. But...The past couple days these chicks have come around and letting me hold and love on them. As soon as I open the brooder they jump up on the edge and wait for my hand to climb on. Well tonight I was holding both of them in my hands when one started flapping its wings and heading for my face. This was result. I'm happy to report a Poop Free encounter. LOL. I love my birds
LOL! That is too cute! Txflower has some wonderful birds and bloodlines! Welcome to the most addictive breed there is!

I'm new to SFH, so I'm happy to report that my three pullets are all laying very nice-sized tan eggs. It appears that they started right out laying large eggs because they are the only ones laying right now and I haven't seen anything tiny!! Very pleased with them.

Also, I have a question. Are these "sprigs" on my Roo's comb? I know he has a fold in the center, but he also has a little "flower" thing right at the end of his comb.
I agree with the advice you got - use the one you have until you have a choice and then use one of equal or better quality without sprigs. Don't use one of worse quality even if it doesn't have sprigs. (My opinion.)

I'm new to SFH, so I'm happy to report that my three pullets are all laying very nice-sized tan eggs. It appears that they started right out laying large eggs because they are the only ones laying right now and I haven't seen anything tiny!! Very pleased with them.

Also, I have a question. Are these "sprigs" on my Roo's comb? I know he has a fold in the center, but he also has a little "flower" thing right at the end of his comb.

Congrats on the new eggs! I'm still waiting for mine to start laying. And I agree with Bulldogma (below) about the sprigs on your roo.

Hay is for horses Ava!

To cute! She must have a much better view from up there
big_smile.png

But Mom, this nest can hold ALL my eggs!
D.gif
gig.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss! She was beautiful!

LOL! That is too cute! Txflower has some wonderful birds and bloodlines! Welcome to the most addictive breed there is!

I agree with the advice you got - use the one you have until you have a choice and then use one of equal or better quality without sprigs. Don't use one of worse quality even if it doesn't have sprigs. (My opinion.)
x2

All right, at 5 weeks, should a pullet have any pink in her comb at all? Or have I managed to hatch all boys AGAIN?
rant.gif

P.S. I know the Dominique is a boy for sure.

I won't be mad if they all end up being boys, it just gives me an excuse to hatch MORE SFH, lol.

All right, at 5 weeks, should a pullet have any pink in her comb at all? Or have I managed to hatch all boys AGAIN?
rant.gif

I won't be mad if they all end up being boys, it just gives me an excuse to hatch MORE SFH, lol.
I say fire up the incubator again
thumbsup.gif
- they all look like boys to me.

rant.gif

Yeah, they all look pretty boyish to me, too, except the one on the very left looks like it could possibly be a girl. I know exactly the problem. I´m starting to wonder if this breed has sperm with like 80% Y-Chromosomes. Mine are starting to look quite boyish,too. The one I thought was a girl now has the biggest comb of the bunch. Here a quick update on my now 6 week olds:

The interesting one with the cross-marking is now very gingery and looks like this. Thinking boy.

The chipmunky one on the right now looks like this. Always thought this was a girl, but now she´s got quite a comb. Her mom does have a pretty big comb, though. Didn´t manage to get a better picture of her:

The yellow chick on the left now looks like this:

The very white chick at the bottom is still very white. She´s the one I had to assist in hatching because she pipped at the pointy end. A bit behind in development compared to the others. If she ends up being the only girl I might keep her anyway if she manages to catch up a little.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom