Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Wonderful! Where did you get your eggs?
Thank you, I got them from a breeder in Arkansas. Didn't want the disappointing hatch of shipped eggs, so I drove 5 hours to pick them up. The breeder was a very nice guy and had very beautiful birds. I am very pleased with the results. Couldn't ask for a better hatch, all the chicks are healthy. All toes are straight, no defects that I have seen so far.
@dlcoops - Congrats on a great hatch so far!! Your chicks are beautiful.
Don't give them medicated feed, please - - just regular chick starter. This breed doesn't tolerate the medicated stuff well. Keep an eye out for signs of cocci, and treat with Corid only if you see signs. Chances are they will never have any issues at all.
big_smile.png

And WELCOME!
Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I have read through this thread and asked the breeder of these eggs several questions. So far I have followed the advice of the breeder concerning incubating and it worked out great.

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a good hatch rate, too, and it looks like you have lots of different colored chicks. You´ll have fun with this breed....

Congratulations!
My girls are still laying strong at the end of December! I had Brahma before this, and they always stopped laying in October already! I don´t have any artificial light in the coop, either. Very, very happy with this breed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
Thank you, I am looking forward to watching these grow.

THeelChickinKY---Wish I traveled through Eastern KY. I would love to have those 4 roos. They are beautiful. I like to free range roosters in my garden and yard. My grandkids love them. My 16 mo. old calls them everyday when we are on the porch. I've only been to E Ky once on a mission trip. Beautiful mountains.

Woohooo! So far I've had a very happy New Year... just figured out I have 2 more pullets and 2 less cockerels than I thought I did. (Took me long enough!) They are full sisters and both were VERY masculine from hatch... but now that they are 16 weeks and 13 weeks, neither is crowing or growing hackle/saddle feathers! Woot!

Thor (16 weeks old) may become Sif and Spike (13 weeks old) may be re-named Flicka... which means GIRL in Swedish. LOL!

Hip hip horay! Pretty gals!
Woohooo! So far I've had a very happy New Year... just figured out I have 2 more pullets and 2 less cockerels than I thought I did. (Took me long enough!) They are full sisters and both were VERY masculine from hatch... but now that they are 16 weeks and 13 weeks, neither is crowing or growing hackle/saddle feathers! Woot! Thor (16 weeks old) may become Sif and Spike (13 weeks old) may be re-named Flicka... which means GIRL in Swedish. LOL!

@Bulldogma
Gorgeous chickadees! Those black are stunning! The white girl looks SO much like our Astrid - this pic is old, she's a much bigger lady now, but I had this one on my phone.

I have a small incubator, so a friend gave me 4 eggs.

The 2 tan ones to the left are SFH.

This is the stock the SFH eggs are from.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom