Swedish Flower Hen Thread

it could be not enough heat in incubator. or they say a chick should not be helped out of an egg because the legs get strong as they push off the shell. I had a chick with a bad leg, but by 2 weeks it fixed it's self.

A couple of the chicks that hatched just before Christmas have crooked toes.  What causes the chicks toes to turn?  I examined them closely, looking for any deformities and crooked toes in particular a couple days after hatching.  Last night was the first time I had noticed it, but I've been really busy the past week and half and could have just overlooked it till now.  They're nine weeks old now.  They've been in a heated brooder, fed 18% protein chick starter/grower.  I've given them Durvet's vitamins and electrolytes in their water twice.  I've read it's due to incubator conditions, but they didn't have it when they came out of the incubator.

Are they under a red heat lamp? Or heat lamp on all the time? I had a similar issues with some silkies months ago, I think mine were due to the constant red light but I can't remember where I read that. I finally caved and bought some brinsea ecoglows and haven't had the problem since. (I have had 1 hatch with curled toes but that's a seperate issue I think). Best of luck.

Hey guys! a gal friend raises SFH

her hens are lovely. she gave me a SFH egg to hatch and he came out chipmunky
the upper chick in this pic. She also gave me the other eggs which are Isbars.
As he got older his feathers had a few flowers just on the tips...

now he doesn't show any flowers, I know he is the same chick. My lady friend needed another SFH roo but is deciding not to use this one she wants me to hang on to it but I don't know if he is soup or not. did anyone else have this happen with the chipmunk ones. I kinda want to go another direction my self.
I'm sorry but he doesn't look like a Swedish Flower at all to me. Not only is the lack of flowering an indicator, but his body shape and comb shape are not indicative of a Swede. I'm so sorry!
To me he looks more like a Black Copper Marans without the leg feathering. What other breeds does this lady have?

A couple of the chicks that hatched just before Christmas have crooked toes. What causes the chicks toes to turn? I examined them closely, looking for any deformities and crooked toes in particular a couple days after hatching. Last night was the first time I had noticed it, but I've been really busy the past week and half and could have just overlooked it till now. They're nine weeks old now. They've been in a heated brooder, fed 18% protein chick starter/grower. I've given them Durvet's vitamins and electrolytes in their water twice. I've read it's due to incubator conditions, but they didn't have it when they came out of the incubator.

Curled toes can come from trouble at hatch time. If you catch them right away, you can tape them for a few days and usually they will straighten.

That is beautiful. What did you use to make this?

I use an electronic medium, but do the art by hand. It's like painting using my computer.
big_smile.png

I am heartbroken. I haven't even been able to post it until now. I lost Astolf last week.
hit.gif
I saw blood on him after the last hawk attack where I lost my "chocolate" hen. I looked him over and didn't find anything. I thought it must have been from someone else, or just a nick somewhere, and he seemed to be fine as I watched him the next few days. I must have missed something. It must have festered and with the harsh weather we have been having, he passed away during one of the really cold nights last week. I am so hoping there is one in the incubator like him, although I know I will never be able to replace him. R.I.P. Astolf.

@KYTinpusher I am so sorry!! Makes me sad to hear this. I too hope you have one of his sons in the incubator. Dang hawks.

We have had our problems with them here too. Hard to believe there are laws protecting them.

Back
Top Bottom