Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I'm not great with sexing chicks. Can y'all give me a second opinion? I think chick 1 might be a roo. The comb is a little bigger than the other one, which I think is probably a pullet. Thanks!

CHICK 1 (darker back and more white feathers):

CHICK 2:

They may be a little young, but you're probably right. Very pretty!

Last edited:
I'm not great with sexing chicks. Can y'all give me a second opinion? I think chick 1 might be a roo. The comb is a little bigger than the other one, which I think is probably a pullet. Thanks!

CHICK 2:

See if this youtube video titled "How to tell a rooster from a hen in 2 month old chicks" if it helps you ID your chicks - I found it useful:

@farmguy5
Mine don't lead the front on broodiness but they will certainly follow suit when my other breeds get it started! And then they get very territorial (read nippy) about it!

Do Swedish flowers go broody

I only have 1 SFH and 2 chicks, so really limited experience. FWIW, my SFH went broody 3x this Spring/Summer!! She started laying in March, and to my surprise, she went broody a few weeks thereafter. I let her sit on some eggs and raise them when they hatched. About a month after she kicked the chicks out of the nest, she went broody again. I broke her of the broodiness, then a few weeks later, she went broody a 3rd time. I let her sit on and hatch some eggs again. She's a very good mama hen. She gets more aggressive when broody, but isn't bloody about it and trusts me not to harm her and her eggs/babies.

Last edited:
I only have 1 SFH and 2 chicks, so really limited experience. FWIW, my SFH went broody 3x this Spring/Summer!! She started laying in March, and to my surprise, she went broody a few weeks thereafter. I let her sit on some eggs and raise them when they hatched. About a month after she kicked the chicks out of the nest, she went broody again. I broke her of the broodiness, then a few weeks later, she went broody a 3rd time. I let her sit on and hatch some eggs again. She's a very good mama hen. She gets more aggressive when broody, but isn't bloody about it and trusts me not to harm her and her eggs/babies.

Wow, she's a super broody! You'll have to get the rest of your SFHs from some other means and she'll be glad to hatch for you. See I'm just assuming you'll want more because they are so awesome!!

btw, what is the bird in your avatar?

Wow, she's a super broody! You'll have to get the rest of your SFHs from some other means and she'll be glad to hatch for you. See I'm just assuming you'll want more because they are so awesome!!

btw, what is the bird in your avatar?

They are awesome! That's why I got the 2 new chicks. I wish I could have more, but I'm limited in space and the confines of suburbia. I generally only have 1 breed of each in my "collection." Even her offspring, which I dub "Flowerolles" (x Faverolles) are awesome. They seem to have the best of both breeds.

The chick in my avatar was my Spitzhauben, my broody's (Sofie) BFF until Spitz succumbed to wet pox. Sofie mourned the loss for a few weeks and walked around the property looking for her friend and came up to me with a look as if asking where her buddy went.

CHICK 2:

Cute chicks! How old are they is these pictures? I am guessing 3-4 weeks? A little early to say for sure. I am thinking cockerel on the first, pullet on the the second one. The second one will be crested and crested cockerels are notoriously late bloomers. Post some pictures in about 2 weeks and it will probably be more evident.

Back
Top Bottom