Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Here´s an update on these 4 chicks I hatched in November:

Now they´re 2 1/2 months old:
One blue-based boy:

One red boy:

One black-based boy:

And one snoleopard-looking pullet:

Definitely going to keep the pullet. Thinking of keeping one of the boys; tending towards the blue one. Not going to keep the black-based one because he´s smaller than the other two and I need to breed for more size in my flock. I´d be happy to hear any opinions on the other two.
Melabella- thanks for the pics of Nero, he´s always gorgeous to look at. Love his daughters too!

And since we had a warm spell in December and my girls decided to lay again for awhile, I put some eggs in the bator and got these babies. Got a better hatch rate this time (the last few times I used the dry-incubation method and it didn´t work out too well for me. This time I had them at 30-40% humidity until day 18 and then upped to around 70%, and got 12 chicks out of 14 eggs:

This one has a really blue-looking spot on its back and head (hard to see in the picture, though), curious to see how he turns out:

I'm not overly impressed with the flock protection capabilities of my SFH cockerel, who just turned 9 months old. I've lost 2 pullets and 1 hen over the past month to a Coopers hawk while the flock of 13 (now 10) hens and pullets have been under his charge. I've kept a free-ranging flock since 2011, and have never lost more than 1 hen per year until now. This is the first year I've had a rooster in the flock, and the losses to hawks have been higher than in the past when the flock lacked a rooster. It doesn't make sense. Are SFH cockerels/roosters more likely to run or take cover than protect the flock? Will his skills improve over time? Anyway, the flock is now confined to the coop and run for a couple of weeks in hopes the hawk will move to another neighborhood for take-out chicken.

I personally think the hawks are more abundant and more agressive than in past years.
I also fly racing pigeons, and each year lose more of them to the hawks as well.
Darn things are protected, so my hands are tied!

My current roo, Coolio, impressing one of his henny pennies, May

Last edited:
Hello, I'm succumbing to the temptation of the SFH birds. Are any of you in Washington state? Would love to get a few chicks this spring. Currently I have Australorp, Welsummer, Wyandottes, and Easter Eggers.

Have any of you gotten any Swedish Flower Hens from Blue House Farm in NC? I have an order in and was just curious if anyone had any from them. Thanks!!

Blue House Farms has nice birds, at least the ones I've received were. I got Swedish Flower, And Barnevelders from her. I only have one Swede from there, as that's all I got to hatch, and she's a really nice bird, she rates among one of the best SFH hens that I have. The Barnevelders were very nice too.

Blue House Farms has nice birds, at least the ones I've received were. I got Swedish Flower, And Barnevelders from her. I only have one Swede from there, as that's all I got to hatch, and she's a really nice bird, she rates among one of the best SFH hens that I have. The Barnevelders were very nice too.

I am glad to hear this. I am also getting some barnevelders and Wheaton/blue Wheaton americauna from them.

Back
Top Bottom