Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hey there, I am new to this breed and hatched out 12 SFHs in February which appears to be an even split of 6 pullets and 6 cockerels. Can someone enlighten me about the faults that arise when two crested are bred together? What does vaulted mean? What are the problems that will arise? One of my pullets is VERY crested (looks like a Polish) and she seems a bit dim. Is it undesirable to have that in the breed? Thanks!

When breeding crested to crested, the result can be a huge crest or a vaulted skull. A vaulted skull can leave them vulnerable to being pecked or getting brain damage. Too big of a crest hampers their vision so they are more open to predator attacks. I would not breed crested to crested. Post some chick pics :)

Hey there, I am new to this breed and hatched out 12 SFHs in February which appears to be an even split of 6 pullets and 6 cockerels. Can someone enlighten me about the faults that arise when two crested are bred together? What does vaulted mean? What are the problems that will arise? One of my pullets is VERY crested (looks like a Polish) and she seems a bit dim. Is it undesirable to have that in the breed? Thanks!

This is the vaulted skull presumably of a Silkie that shows the open skull cavity that exposes the brain tissue under the thin scalp skin. There are varying degrees of vaulting from very little brain exposure to much brain exposure where there is less skull bone protecting the tissue as in this photo. Severe vaulting greatly increases the chances for brain injury like twitching, paralysis, or death.

I'm still trying to decide if this little black girl in the middle of this photo is a Swedish flower or maybe just mixed with one. Thoughts? I'm assuming it's a hen anyway, 8 weeks old.

I'm still trying to decide if this little black girl in the middle of this photo is a Swedish flower or maybe just mixed with one. Thoughts? I'm assuming it's a hen anyway, 8 weeks old.
If I'm seeing the photo correctly, it looks like there's a bit of a greenish sheen to the black feathers on her back. That, combined with the black legs, suggests she is part black australorp.

Here it is!! Our very first SFH x Salmon Faverolles chick. Fascinating coloring.

Hello :) I have a few chicks who are almost 4 weeks old now. At first I thought one was a little polish mystery chick because I didn't know if they are crested it can show from day one! This is her (hopefully a her- we bought them sexed):

Day One:

Today:

This is our other little "girl" (again, hopefully) any opinions on the comb at this point seems a bit too pink/big to my eyes for a pullet (almost 4 weeks)?:

Day One:

Today:

I hope they will flower out more as they fill/feather out. Mine seem a bit dull compared to everyone else's chicks? But I just love them!! I think these birds have the prettiest faces and eyes. I am definitely going to get some hatching eggs and try for some more color! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom