Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Can someone please help me with the genders of my two 9 week old SFHs? The lighter colored one, Maverick, is my favorite out of my 13 chicks (of 6 different breeds). It was the most bold, first to start jumping to the lip of the brooder, first to run over for treats, etc. Neither have the more erect tails of the other hens, but in looking at photos it doesn't seem like SFH hens really have the straight tails like other breeds. This is my first time with SFH and I would be so sad if they both turned out to be boys. Thanks!

View attachment 1039661 View attachment 1039662 View attachment 1039664 View attachment 1039665 View attachment 1039666 View attachment 1039668
That black one is for sure a pullet, but I'm gonna guess that the little snowleopard is a boy. Both look beautiful.

The latest pics. 4 week old baby dinosaurs. I think my two crested chicks are roos (yellow/purple). Blue I'm on the fence with. He's my biggest but I'm just not sure. The rest I'm leaning pullets. But I'm a newb so tell me if I'm wrong :)

Poor little green's toe went a little cockeyed.

DSC_0436.jpg
DSC_0458.jpg
19055699_10154850460893195_7151013568903180992_o.jpg
19143930_10154850460948195_7965405940508234895_o.jpg
19095415_10154850460703195_5432015866552477997_o.jpg
19092794_10154850460698195_1836519424183768138_o.jpg

Hi there!
I have two young SFHs - both look to e split wing. Will they have teouble getting up to the roost, about 2 1/2 feet off the ground?

Hi there!
I have two young SFHs - both look to e split wing. Will they have teouble getting up to the roost, about 2 1/2 feet off the ground?
Since they are young, don't be too quick to judge that the split wing is permanent. Some of them pass through a phase of appearing to be split wing, but all the flight feathers grow in as they mature. I think they should be able to handle 2 1/2 feet easily. Mine can hop way too well! Watch to see what they can do. You will be amazed and before you know it wishing they would come down off the coop roof!

That is interesting. One of them has looked split wing since it was a couple of days old, the other's wings looked normal until recently, so maybe she will end ip growing a full wing after all.

That is interesting. One of them has looked split wing since it was a couple of days old, the other's wings looked normal until recently, so maybe she will end ip growing a full wing after all.
Both of them may have full wings. I think it is 9 months before you can be positive about split wing and it isn't tremendously common.

Hi there!

I'm with Cree on this and I don't even start checking until 6 months old. :)

And I wouldn't expect split wing to effect their flying ability really. :confused: My breeders are the only birds I ever check for it. So far, NOBODY has any problem making it up and over my 4 foot fence IF they choose to. 2.5 feet is nothing to a bird... except maybe a Silkie! :D Most my high roosts are higher than that but have a ramp. And I have a lower roost (under the droppings board) where younger birds usually start their way into the pecking order. :p

Awesome that you are looking out for faults! :highfive: I would expect sprigs to show up first, maybe. But give the wings a chance still if the bird is young as you say. :fl

ETA: especially since you think it's both, they probably just haven't grown in yet. ;) Never had a split wing show up yet... though I only check the ones I'm keeping.

I'm with Cree on this and I don't even start checking until 6 months old. :)

And I wouldn't expect split wing to effect their flying ability really. :confused: My breeders are the only birds I ever check for it. So far, NOBODY has any problem making it up and over my 4 foot fence IF they choose to. 2.5 feet is nothing to a bird... except maybe a Silkie! :D Most my high roosts are higher than that but have a ramp. And I have a lower roost (under the droppings board) where younger birds usually start their way into the pecking order. :p

Awesome that you are looking out for faults! :highfive: I would expect sprigs to show up first, maybe. But give the wings a chance still if the bird is young as you say. :fl

ETA: especially since you think it's both, they probably just haven't grown in yet. ;) Never had a split wing show up yet... though I only check the ones I'm keeping.
I am glad to hear that!
Where did you get you SFHs?
Mine came from Meyer.
I only noticed that one of them had wings that looked different from any chicks' I have seen before, that's why I thought it must be the split wing thing.
It would be great if that wasn't in fact it, since this is on my roo and I do want to use him to breed, though just for us. He also turned out to be crested, oh well... He is very cute though, and the SFH pullet is not crested so we're good there, luckily!

Since Greenfire Farms originally imported SFH's, they all originated from them in several different imports. They are importers, not breeders. That is with the exception of the German line, which Dale Fisher imported privately. I have stock from 7 different breeders including my own. Each breeder has made their own breeding decisions and this provides diversity. There are bunches of beautiful roosters/cockerels that are in dire need of homes if you decide you need to make a change. I'm not sure where Meyer and MPC are getting their stock, but they are not importers, more like retailers. IMO the dedicated breeders have worked hard to get diversity and hardiness established and have the most beautiful birds available! Not unbiased at all! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom