Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Wondering about this 8 week old SFH. Comb much redder than the other two SFH that came with it. Little wattles starting too. (Gold and white in the middle). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    692.3 KB · Views: 37
I am glad to hear that!
Where did you get you SFHs?
Mine came from Meyer.
I only noticed that one of them had wings that looked different from any chicks' I have seen before, that's why I thought it must be the split wing thing.
It would be great if that wasn't in fact it, since this is on my roo and I do want to use him to breed, though just for us. He also turned out to be crested, oh well... He is very cute though, and the SFH pullet is not crested so we're good there, luckily!

I got my stock from a gal up the coast about 3 hours.. who got her original stock from GFF, 2015 I think. And heavily culled her parent stock for faults. Turned out to be BYC'er Lamancha. See to me anyone who just breeds without culling for things like sprigs and such isn't doing any breed any favors. And I would consider your current stock, if you plan to breed.. just your first gen that should be culled from the flock and replaced with the best of the best from what you hatch just about every generation. So ya, start with what you have (crested male) and work towards what you want, a non crested male. I have decided not to breed the SFH anymore as there are just way too many breeds for me to have pens for them all. :oops: So my focus instead will be FBCM and I figure I can always get SFH to add to my flock as desired since I was very happy with both the birds and the price. :)

I did have a Welsumer who wing seemed awfully weird almost like angel wing in ducks for a couple weeks when young but it quickly disappeared.. maybe she was holding it weird or something. :confused: Split wing will not be obvious from just looking at the bird. You have to spread the wings out and look for the missing feather.

Yeah I was impressed with the color diversity too. Here is my pullet at about 6 weeks. She has the black/white with some gold tipped. The other two are the white/golden pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 36
After waiting for what seems like an eternity (my first post is on page 14 of this thread!)...I'm *finally* getting SFH's tomorrow!
Pics forthcoming! It'll be dark by the time we get home, so I'll post on Sun am...I might be late to church - I know Pastor will understand....

My 6 baby flower dinosaurs are now 7 weeks. Some I'm pretty confident of the sex. Two (blue and pink) I'm still a little iffy. I'm also curious as to what you think of purple's crest (too big already?) and blue's color (sno?). Appreciate any feedback :)

Purple (roo)
DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0465 (1).jpg

Blue: Leaning roo? color?
rsz_dsc_0496.jpg

Orange: pullet
19667474_10154922175373195_7088357753615126571_o.jpg

Pink: I used to think this one was a pullet. Now I'm not sure. Roo?
19679460_10154922175413195_8648937840028073659_o.jpg

Yellow: definitely roo
DSC_0515.jpg
DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0477.jpg
    DSC_0477.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 25
Hi everyone! New SFH owner here. Just trying out the breed for now.

Is there a website where someone has pictured chick to chicken to show feather color development?

For example, this one for Easter Eggers:
http://www.plumjam.com/poultry/breeds/ee-colors.cfm

I haven't had much luck finding such a page. I've been photographing my own from hatchlings on up to document the color changes. They really do look like different birds every week.

My 6 baby flower dinosaurs are now 7 weeks. Some I'm pretty confident of the sex. Two (blue and pink) I'm still a little iffy. I'm also curious as to what you think of purple's crest (too big already?) and blue's color (sno?). Appreciate any feedback :)

Purple (roo)View attachment 1066319
View attachment 1066329

Blue: Leaning roo? color?
View attachment 1066330

View attachment 1066331

Pink: I used to think this one was a pullet. Now I'm not sure. Roo?
View attachment 1066332

Yellow: definitely roo
View attachment 1066333 View attachment 1066334

View attachment 1066336
Beautiful chicks!

Back
Top Bottom