Swedish Flower Hen Thread

There is no such thing as
a purebred Swedish Flower Hen
in the sense that there is no recognized standard. The Swedes are trying to preserve the existing genetic pool of the foundation flocks on which the breed's revival rested, but elsewhere there's no such effort as far as I can see. So green legs can't 'disqualify' your bird in the traditional sense. Does it otherwise look like a SFH? I don't see any white spots on the feathers in the photo, for example.

There is no such thing as

in the sense that there is no recognized standard. The Swedes are trying to preserve the existing genetic pool of the foundation flocks on which the breed's revival rested, but elsewhere there's no such effort as far as I can see. So green legs can't 'disqualify' your bird in the traditional sense. Does it otherwise look like a SFH? I don't see any white spots on the feathers in the photo, for example.
Thanks so much for your reply! The lady who sold her to me has lines from Greenfire farms stock but this pullet has no spots at all...also some of her siblings did not have single combs if that makes any difference...here’s a pic of the pullet. She seems to be Columbian colored??
46A41F68-70C1-4482-8297-2405E6096E3F.jpeg

following your post, I went hunting for some guidelines, and found this, which is useful, but would suggest that this bird is indeed a product of mixed breeding. Green legs are a criterion for exclusion, and few white dots on plumage are an unwanted criterion.
https://www.the-chicken-world.com/guidelines/
So I wouldn't breed from this bird if you wanted to help preserve the breed.

following your post, I went hunting for some guidelines, and found this, which is useful, but would suggest that this bird is indeed a product of mixed breeding. Green legs are a criterion for exclusion, and few white dots on plumage are an unwanted criterion.
https://www.the-chicken-world.com/guidelines/
So I wouldn't breed from this bird if you wanted to help preserve the breed.
That website is the place where I got my SFHs!

That website is the place where I got my SFHs!
looks like an excellent place! and your birds are gorgeous. You have quite a few roos methinx; are you OK with that? How old is the bird in the first photo? looks like a pullet to me, but age matters in these things.

looks like an excellent place! and your birds are gorgeous. You have quite a few roos methinx; are you OK with that? How old is the bird in the first photo? looks like a pullet to me, but age matters in these things.
Yes, her birds are beautiful. I ended up with 6 boys, 4 girls and 1 mystery lol. They are 12 weeks old. The first chicken (the mystery) was the slowest to feather in and fought with the boys as a small chick. Its comb is now bigger than all the pullets' combs and smaller than the cockerels' combs. Its tail is also shorter than the cockerels' tails but slightly more curved than the pullets' tails, so I still have no idea!:confused: I think it's a slow developing boy but my husband thinks it's a hen. We'll see...

Yes, her birds are beautiful. I ended up with 6 boys, 4 girls and 1 mystery lol. They are 12 weeks old. The first chicken (the mystery) was the slowest to feather in and fought with the boys as a small chick. Its comb is now bigger than all the pullets' combs and smaller than the cockerels' combs. Its tail is also shorter than the cockerels' tails but slightly more curved than the pullets' tails, so I still have no idea!:confused: I think it's a slow developing boy but my husband thinks it's a hen. We'll see...
I would say hen... it is quite similar to two of mine (both hens). both on the right of the photo.
IMG_2199.JPG

I would say hen... it is quite similar to two of mine (both hens). both on the right of the photo. View attachment 2290499
I am starting to lean toward hen for mine too. Mine looks like a hen except for its tail, which has a few curved feathers but they are much shorter than the Cockerels’ tails.

One of my boys has started getting aggressive. He has been pulling the hens’ feathers and stepping up to my daughter and giving her side eye. He has been stomping his feet at her and at the dog too. So that is helping me decide which cockerels will be going in the pot lol😂 The other boys are pretty calm.

Back
Top Bottom