Sweet gentle rooster gone insane

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
I got my first 5 chickens in May. Red sex linked. The rooster, Rocky, was so sweet. You could carry him around, have him sit on your lap, let kids play with him ect... But about 2 weeks ago he attacked me. I went in the coop to clean it, and that little maggot was flying at me, flipping bit me, the whole nine yards. Needless to say I kicked him across the coop in self defense (Have bruises and scratches regardless). He now does this every time I see him . When I'm on the outside of the coop he charges me with hackles raised . Why did my baby boy go insane?

Notes: They do not free range/They eat regular chicken crumble with greens and oyster shells/I don't have the heart to kill him
:(

Last edited:
I had the same problem recently and every response I got was that they can't be tamed when they go aggressive and must be "removed". So while I was postponing the inevitable, he charged me while I was just walking from the garage to the house. I got the .22 and decided it was time. Luckily I'm not that good of a a shot and I just broke his leg. Now he's calm, tame and I can even pick him up again. He still cockle-doodle-doos in the morning, eats well and otherwise seems happier than being on the BBQ. It was sheer accident but now he's still thriving but not threatening! Good luck!

Lol XD ok then, I'll grab a gun and go shoot him in the leg. Lol kidding. Your story made me laugh! Thanks XD

Last edited:
Hormones. He thinks he's the king of the coop and you are not welcome.

We went through this with our roo, the pain the butt we call Zulu. My hubby had enough of being attacked and went out there with an arm down (like a wing), and strutted in circles around the pen. Zulu backed into a corner and didn't approach him. He was very afraid of the huge roo that was dancing. Every morning he went out there and did the same thing while I went in to clean. It took a few weeks, but Zulu stopped attacking us. And I got the amusement of watching a 6' tall "rooster" dance in the backyard. It's worth a try, you can't keep getting attacked.

I had the same problem recently and every response I got was that they can't be tamed when they go aggressive and must be "removed". So while I was postponing the inevitable, he charged me while I was just walking from the garage to the house. I got the .22 and decided it was time. Luckily I'm not that good of a a shot and I just broke his leg. Now he's calm, tame and I can even pick him up again. He still cockle-doodle-doos in the morning, eats well and otherwise seems happier than being on the BBQ. It was sheer accident but now he's still thriving but not threatening! Good luck!
That's hilarious! Not as much fun as watching my dh dance around like an idiot, but what ever works.
gig.gif

Thank you! I'll try that! Do you think it will just go away on its own eventually? (I'm pretty busy with moving lately and don't have much time to dance around the coop XD )

i had a roo named crispy get that way but i just picked him up by the feet and continued working if i was otherwise i held him and pet him until i was leaving the area. after a while he would run up to people like he was going to attack but then stop short like he was afraid to get close enough to pick up.danged fox got him. i think u just need to estabolish yourself as the top of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom