sweet potato peels

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gvntofly05, Nov 25, 2009.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Doing Thanksgiving dinner prep today and wondered if I could give the sweet potato peels to my chickens?

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I through one over the fence to my hens yesterday. One of them grabbed it, took off, and others chased off after her. I can't find the peel now and there are no dead chickens out there. I figure it must be ok.
    they didn't seem to be near as interested in regular potato peels though.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine love the sweet potato skins.
    ETA: Basically anything that's leftover on our plates after our thanksgiving meal will be given to the chickens. What they don't like or shouldn't eat, they won't. (That's been my experience, thus far).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  4. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    "Sweet potato" is actually unrelated to regular potatoes. Go for it. It's only green potato skins that are a problem in any case.

5. 4kidZ

4kidZ Fluffy Butt Farmer

This is awesome...the day of Thanksgiving and I can STILL come to BYC and find an answer to just about anything!!
    You just made a flock of chickens very, very happy! [​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

~4kidZ (Fluffy Butts Farm)

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Because of this thread I just ran out with our sweet potato peels and the chickens are going nuts! Thanks!

7. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    when you get done with your Turkey or chicken carcass after your meal, take that out and throw it in your chicken run. They will have it cleaned down to the bare bone before you know it. So far, about the only thing I've found my chickens won't eat are regular potato peals and beats that we threw them from our garden. There regular meal is chicken feed of course, but it's always fun to throw our scraps out to them and watch them go for it. Better than throwing our food waste in the garbage I figure.

8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    My chickwns enjoyed their sweet potato peels...

9. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Glad to see the chickens LOVE sweet potatoe peelings as I recently discovered sweet potatoe fries and love them! They are easy to make in the oven.

10. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Just took my peels out to the chickens and boy did they get vocal. They are still trying to figure out what they are but I suspect they will be gone by morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by