Sweeter heaters

15littleladies

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2020
I have a mixed flock of 15 chickens here in SW Pennsylvania. We do get below freezing temps in the winter. I would love some advice on coop heaters. I just want something for the nights that are below freezing to keep combs and feet from frostbite. So far my research makes me want to purchase Sweeter Heaters. Pros and cons? Any other safe options?

I have 3 leghorns with larger combs. I read that they are much more prone to frostbite. My coop is well insulated and ventilated. It is about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temp. A problem when we have below 0 F weather.

I know that chickens don't necessarily need the heat, and ventilation is the most important, however I think there are many cases where critters don't need the heat and it can still be pleasant and nicer for them with it. Sooooo, I have a woods open air coop, so my chickens have LOTS of fresh air, however I also just purchased a sweeter heater because i think it will make it nicer for some of my bigger, single combed chooks:love I plan to hook it up to a therma cube. I only got one of the sweeter heaters though, so I don't expect it will do a lot for heating the coop, but will be nice for those birds wanting more heat when it dips into the teens. I guess the biggest draw back is that I hear birds can get used to it and wont handle the cold if you lose power, but so far the temps where I live dont drop into the single digits that often, so I feel like the risk is low in this regard.

I have a mixed flock of 15 chickens here in SW Pennsylvania. We do get below freezing temps in the winter. I would love some advice on coop heaters. I just want something for the nights that are below freezing to keep combs and feet from frostbite. So far my research makes me want to purchase Sweeter Heaters. Pros and cons? Any other safe options?
I will be getting another sweet heater for the chickens this year.
We have one for the dogs and it is perfect. I was always afraid of fire and this takes they worry away.
It is a radiant heat so it doesn't warm a room it only warms the animal under it. This is perfect as they can come and go as they need it. You can even touch the element/panel without getting burned.
Great for a brooder as well

It is a radiant heat so it doesn't warm a room it only warms the animal under it. This is perfect as they can come and go as they need it.
From my understanding, people who want to heat coops, do it because of low nighttime temperatures. But how does this heater help with that? The chickens won't come and go as they need it, because at night they will be asleep on the roost. They don't walk around at night, they can't see. And how would you position it so they'd be under it, if they are up on a roost? This seems unnecessary and impractical, more of a feel good for the owner, not for the birds themselves.

I have a mixed flock of 15 chickens here in SW Pennsylvania. We do get below freezing temps in the winter.
PA isn't cold enough for it to be a problem for chickens. Below freezing is not a big deal - people raise chickens in Alaska and Siberia where it's not only below freezing, but below 0 as well (F!) and their chickens do fine without heat. Chickens are outdoor animals and have been around for a veeeeeery long time! Electrical heating, of any kind, is a very modern human invention. Until recently, even humans didn't have it in their homes (and some still don't). How did they raise poultry throughout history and throughout the world without heaters? Think of it this way and maybe it will lift some worry off your shoulders.

I too believe that heat is probably not needed in our area. We are within hearing distance of Gillette Stadium in S.E. Mass. I would imagine the lows are about the same in your area. The lowest temperature we have recorded in our coop was around -4F. The windows are open year round. There is decent ventilation, but we could use a bit more. Here is an article we did a few years ago to show the winter prep. Note, we do not heat the coop. Just the outdoor HN water bucket. YMMV

Preparing the girls for winter

Good luck this winter.

I too believe that heat is probably not needed in our area. We are within hearing distance of Gillette Stadium in S.E. Mass. I would imagine the lows are about the same in your area. The lowest temperature we have recorded in our coop was around -4F. The windows are open year round. There is decent ventilation, but we could use a bit more. Here is an article we did a few years ago to show the winter prep. Note, we do not heat the coop. Just the outdoor HN water bucket. YMMV

Preparing the girls for winter

Good luck this winter.
I'm not too far from the stadium myself, and my chickens do just fine without added heat. I also have about 2 square feet of permanent ventilation per chicken in the coop, open year round and in all weather. The only thing they care about is not being rained/snowed/blown on. The temperature itself they can handle. They have a much harder time in the summer.

But how does this heater help with that?
And how would you position it so they'd be under it, if they are up on a roost?

It hangs above the roosts, so they sleep under it, when temps are presumably the coldest. One can also plug it into a TC3 adapter (it turns the heater on when the temp goes below 35F and turns off when it gets above 45F). :)

Back
Top Bottom