Sweetest hen has what I thought was a prolapsed vent with severe scabbing. Gross pictures included

You may need to start feeding her with a syringe. Keep giving her the food you are offering to her.
Do you have current pictures of her vent?
I have posted photos of her vent today, just before and then after bath. I appreciate your help.

She has not laid an egg since Tuesday. I was able to palpate last night and I do not think she is egg bound right now.
Nap time. She is in the dark in the blanket, the photo makes it appear brighter than it is.
It looks a bit better.
I'd continue to do what you're doing but focus on getting the Calcium into her.
I know you must be thinking - Enough about the Calcium already, but I can't stress to enough how important it is to help with healing and retention of the reproductive tissue.

TUMS work fairly well, but if you can get some Calcium Citrate with D3 give her that instead. Once a day, just pop 1 tablet into her beak and let her swallow.
Sometimes they aren't interested in their normal feed, so change it up a little. Offer it wet, top it with a tablespoon of yogurt, egg, tuna, etc. Some hens seem to be really keen on things like tomato, cucumber and watermelon when they are "off" their feed.
Thank you for your help. I’ve added more photos. She was all about the wet food, eggs and tuna the first few days, but that stopped Thursday morning. I will try to get some calcium tablets today to try.

I appreciate the information about calcium. I knew it was important for egg production, but I was unaware that it helps them heal as well. She does not want me putting anything in her mouth. I was able to crush and then mix in with tasty bits.
My daughter says she will never want to leave the house now. I hate having to put her in baths so often, seems as though she can never dry. I have been keeping a close eye on her feet. I’m surprised she still likes me at all.

I think may have done it!! But here’s my next question, I noticed this last Sunday, and started working on her, but I don’t know when it actually prolapsed. Today is Saturday, so a full seven days I understand that it may happen again, but what should I watch out for in case there was some necrosis on this tissue?

Attachments

• 92BA9A1A-1700-42C0-A0DA-440AFEB4060C.jpeg
    92BA9A1A-1700-42C0-A0DA-440AFEB4060C.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 9D7B67BA-4465-48F3-8524-4BD7BB08ADCE.jpeg
    9D7B67BA-4465-48F3-8524-4BD7BB08ADCE.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 5150A98D-473F-4888-A2F9-398683146EB3.jpeg
    5150A98D-473F-4888-A2F9-398683146EB3.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 7DE955F4-308E-4622-9474-0AB87778BF0E.jpeg
    7DE955F4-308E-4622-9474-0AB87778BF0E.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 362B521C-5EE4-4542-B13B-973E1CD0643D.jpeg
    362B521C-5EE4-4542-B13B-973E1CD0643D.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 9
  • 9B4547EF-BB34-4E77-9C49-947106DF977D.jpeg
    9B4547EF-BB34-4E77-9C49-947106DF977D.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 8
I think may have done it!! But here’s my next question, I noticed this last Sunday, and started working on her, but I don’t know when it actually prolapsed. Today is Saturday, so a full seven days I understand that it may happen again, but what should I watch out for in case there was some necrosis on this tissue?
Excellent! She looks great!

I cannot express how grateful I am to this group. I thought I would have to euthanize her and was crying like mad. My husband knows I get extremely attached to animals, and he felt bad for me. But I was not willing to give up on her and after seeing your responses, realized I did not have to right away. We still have a way to go, I know, but this resource saved Favorite, and me. Thank you all! I am going to the store tomorrow for calcium citrate after reading the prolapse article. I have been spending so much time trying to bathe, dry and warm her that I have not left our property since Wednesday (and I took her with me to take off her diaper around laying time, in case she needed to).

I cannot express how grateful I am to this group. I thought I would have to euthanize her and was crying like mad. My husband knows I get extremely attached to animals, and he felt bad for me. But I was not willing to give up on her and after seeing your responses, realized I did not have to right away. We still have a way to go, I know, but this resource saved Favorite, and me. Thank you all! I am going to the store tomorrow for calcium citrate after reading the prolapse article. I have been spending so much time trying to bathe, dry and warm her that I have not left our property since Wednesday (and I took her with me to take off her diaper around laying time, in case she needed to).
You're doing a great job on taking care of her. 😊

Color and tissue look nice and healthy to me!!

Hoping she's able to retain the prolapse. If not, then you know what to do. You've got this.
Nice job hanging in there with her.

Color and tissue look nice and healthy to me!!

Hoping she's able to retain the prolapse. If not, then you know what to do. You've got this.
Nice job hanging in there with her.
Thank you. I did not expect it to be so life consuming, I would not have been able to if I were currently working. She did prolapse again, bath to clean and with A&D she nearly fixed herself.
But she is still leaking.

Back
Top Bottom