Sweetest hen has what I thought was a prolapsed vent with severe scabbing. Gross pictures included

Fieryredhead

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2023
Favorite was born mid August 2022 and was the last of my six hands to start laying. All of her eggs have been small. On 01/08/2023 afternoon, I noticed her vent area was a mess with what appeared to be white and black crust or scabs covering a walnut or larger growth. I started epsom salt baths and using coconut and olive oil to try and remove crust to try and reinsert prolapse. She is extremely tolerant and has allowed me to keep her in a bath anywhere from 15- 40 minutes at a time. I have kept her inside, limited light to discourage laying, but she has continued. She never squawks or attempts to peck. I have even created diapers to keep A&D ointment, aquaphor, or honey on it to keep it moist and soaking.
She started trying to lay an egg 2 hours ago, but no success. No noise either.

Is this a prolapse, and if so is it too late?

I do not want to give up on her as long as she is willing to allow me to help. Her name is literally Favorite. May sound ridiculous, but I love this girl.

Attachments

• 4B69F583-21FE-48E6-8E23-5DF47644B22B.jpeg
    4B69F583-21FE-48E6-8E23-5DF47644B22B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 60EAACDD-0324-4636-BF32-CFF2175B77CB.jpeg
    60EAACDD-0324-4636-BF32-CFF2175B77CB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 515B2AFB-5724-4814-B510-2E8476A51D57.jpeg
    515B2AFB-5724-4814-B510-2E8476A51D57.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 7BC3D360-C93C-4E0E-BFCE-38F6FD27C84A.jpeg
    7BC3D360-C93C-4E0E-BFCE-38F6FD27C84A.jpeg
    773.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 8C30A6E2-F8CF-4964-B098-414B85D30F16.jpeg
    8C30A6E2-F8CF-4964-B098-414B85D30F16.jpeg
    639.4 KB · Views: 13
She may be having trouble laying an egg, so get some calcium citrate +D3 with at least 500mg of calcium and give her one tablet once a day.
The treatment you're doing so far is great, keep it up. Although I wouldn't try pushing the prolapse back in yet.

I have been adding crushed egg shells (theirs) to their food since at least 4 of 6 were laying. She was the last and has always had the smallest eggs. She is also the only one that did not submit to the rooster without a fight, but I never checked to see if there was an issue. Since I brought her in, I have fed her scrambled eggs, tuna, poultry blend oat in warm water and although I tried just cracked corn, she was not interested. Each meal had a crushed tums in it along with coconut oil. I have added a bit of pedialyte to her water, just in case. She has had a very healthy appetite until today. She has barely eaten or drank anything- even the tuna water. She has let me bathe her twice and cuddles, but no interest in food or water anymore.

There is no chicken, or avian, vet within 3 hours that I can find.

The white scabby area looks like the coating that may create her shells, it is hard like that and in the beginning had shell shards attached, that has all been washed or peeled off, even though the hard coating remains. She appears to leak (very slowly) the white secretions that created the debris. When I clean her up as it comes out, it has the consistency of mucus. Her feces is very different from it.

You may need to start feeding her with a syringe. Keep giving her the food you are offering to her.
Do you have current pictures of her vent?

You may need to start feeding her with a syringe. Keep giving her the food you are offering to her.
Do you have current pictures of her vent?
The last set of 4 was after first bath of the day, after her breakfast. Around 11:15 this morning, she started pushing like she was trying to lay. After 30 minutes of this on my lap (I had been drying her after the bath), I put her in her crate after attempting to feel her abdomen (she shied away from me touching her, and normally she has no issue with being touched anywhere).

After 3 hours, I thought I was wrong because still no egg. So I gave her 2nd bath, dried her, and wrapped her in a blanket to warm up. She stayed on my lap and rested her head on my arm or my neck and had her eyes closed. I put her back in the crate after 2 hours when she finally roused. It is now 20:30 where I live and no egg. But she has refused all food water since this morning, and I have offered tuna with oil, low sodium chicken broth, just water, strawberry heads and pieces of zucchini. She has just stood in the corner of the crate since being put in it since 1800 or just before.

The last set of 4 was after first bath of the day, after her breakfast. Around 11:15 this morning, she started pushing like she was trying to lay. After 30 minutes of this on my lap (I had been drying her after the bath), I put her in her crate after attempting to feel her abdomen (she shied away from me touching her, and normally she has no issue with being touched anywhere).

After 3 hours, I thought I was wrong because still no egg. So I gave her 2nd bath, dried her, and wrapped her in a blanket to warm up. She stayed on my lap and rested her head on my arm or my neck and had her eyes closed. I put her back in the crate after 2 hours when she finally roused. It is now 20:30 where I live and no egg. But she has refused all food water since this morning, and I have offered tuna with oil, low sodium chicken broth, just water, strawberry heads and pieces of zucchini. She has just stood in the corner of the crate since being put in it since 1800 or just before.
I'd get the calcium if you can and give it to her, she may be having trouble passing an egg.

Yes, it's a prolapse.

I'd keep the tissue moist with ointment, oil, honey, etc like you are doing.
The white crusty material is likley urates which will stick like crazy. Coconut oil or mineral oil applied can help keep that moist and it may eventually slough off.

The exposed tissue is quite dark and looks like it may be turning necrotic. The last photos of the tissue are from 1/8, do you have photos from today?

Keep working on her as you have, hopefully you'll eventually be able to push the tissue back in, but it sounds like she may be having a hard time with an egg as well now?
Sometimes prolapses are fixable, while other times they are not, so do the best you can.

I agree, I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate daily. Keep her hydrated. Offer her normal feed wet or dry. Bits of egg may be of interest to her.

Favorite looks like a Sweet Girl! I loved my BO's.

I'd get the calcium if you can and give it to her, she may be having trouble passing an egg.
I’ve been giving her calcium in the form of tums, crushed in her food. Although I tried to j keep her quiet and no more than dim light for most of each day, she has laid 2 eggs since I noticed her trouble.
I am very concerned about not drinking or eating.

I’ve been giving her calcium in the form of tums, crushed in her food. Although I tried to j keep her quiet and no more than dim light for most of each day, she has laid 2 eggs since I noticed her trouble.
I am very concerned about not drinking or eating.
Keep up the calcium and all the food you're giving her.
You may need to feed her yourself with a syringe, or tube feed her.

Back
Top Bottom