Swelling after prolapse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amanda1, Jun 25, 2019.

1. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    After being away for five days I found my hen with a prolapse. I have been soaking her in Epsom salts, and trying different remedies including oak bark, hydrocortisone, coconut oil and an anti fungal/anti bacterial spray. This morning after her soak I was working on picking at a large scabby type thing stuck to her prolapse. I’d read in a couple of other posts that the prolapse would improve once the scab came off.

She pooped, and everything went back inside on its own!

The problem now is, she might have vent gleet. The last two days the odor coming from her vent area has been awful. She is also very swollen around her vent area. I did use a sugar wash this morning, but now four hours later the swelling isn’t any better. I’m afraid if she does have gleet, the sugar will make it worse. Can anyone advise me as to help her swelling? Based on the fact that prep h shrinks blood vessels, which can interrupt healing, I prefer not to use that.

cottagecheese likes this.
  2. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    Here is a thread of a successful treatment of a fungal type vent gleet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diarrhoea-not-worms.1300713/
    In the case no improvement can be seen with miconazole (or some other anti-fungal you could already have), then ugh it's antibiotic time. Please be careful with the diet too - low carb and adding probiotics. Congrats on beating the prolapse, in record time too, if I'm not mistaken. :)

3. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it?

4. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    I have great news! No gleet and her vent has gone back to normal size! Clean feathers this morning and no odor. I don’t know if something I used helped, or it was just because of the prolapse, but there is no sign of an issue now. I will still keep her in darkness a lot of today and tomorrow. I want to make sure her body gets a rest before laying again. Thank you for all the advice and support!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: