Swelling on dog's neck, stiff neck, strange behavior -- Please help!

Dutchgirl

Not Dutch!
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A.
Yesterday we noticed that our dog was acting strangely. He seemed tired and didn't beg for dinner like he usually does after we eat. Instead he just lay on his bed. He did eat his dinner, though.

This morning we noticed that he had a large lump, or swelling, on the back of his neck. His neck is stiff. Pressing on the lump causes him pain.

Please note: I've researched it on the Internet for a while. It is NOT lymphosarcoma or anything of the sort, as it is in the middle of the back of his neck, not near the lymph nodes.

Please help!

Last edited:
We're also giving him doses of Ivermectin for heartworm. I believe that was put in his food a few days ago but I'm not sure.

What I'm worried about is that this swelling came so suddenly. I don't think it was there last night.

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of the dog and the swelling?

Is there any open wound near or around the area?

If not than is there any way he could have hit something?

It would help if you could shave the hair off around the swelling at least about 2 inches past where the swelling stops. look for any signs of open wounds if theres not any you might have to take him to a vet and let them drain it.

Is the knot hard or soft and squishy?

Can you post a pic of the dog and the swelling? I may be able to later.

Is there any open wound near or around the area? No, not that I can tell.

If not than is there any way he could have hit something? It depends on what you mean. Hit what, exactly?

Is the knot hard or soft and squishy? I can't really tell. It's not rock hard, but it's not soft and squishy, either.

He's still just lying on his bed.

I forgot to mention that he had an accident on the floor earlier this morning. It's probably because he wasn't let out late enough last night, but I just wanted to make note of that.

The above poster is right. Something the vet should look at. If there isnt any sores around it than it could be something internal that needs a vet. Im not a vet but I have learned alot but I cant diagnosis anything. I mean I can give you ideas but I would have to see it. and feel it. But just to make sure you should try shaving around the knot to see if you can find any open wounds. Even the smallest of wounds can get infected. As far as getting hit with something like maybe something falling on him... Or him trying to get into something and hitting himself on something. You should take him to a vet as soon as you can.

Back
Top Bottom