Switch Heat Source from Heat Lamp to Brinsea Eco Glow

Me again.....I got the Heating Plate today. I placed it in the coop, and turned off the heat lamp a few hours ago. The chicks have not gone under it on their own yet.
I put a few under it and they crawled out. Hoping they get used to this....They've had a heat lamp for a week. Will the chicks be ok if they don't use it tonight? Now I may not sleep - worrying they will freeze.. My house is about 68 degrees - basement may be a little cooler.

Me again.....I got the Heating Plate today. I placed it in the coop, and turned off the heat lamp a few hours ago. The chicks have not gone under it on their own yet.
I put a few under it and they crawled out. Hoping they get used to this....They've had a heat lamp for a week. Will the chicks be ok if they don't use it tonight? Now I may not sleep - worrying they will freeze.. My house is about 68 degrees - basement may be a little cooler.
IMG_3896.jpeg

I've never had a problem with a chick figuring it out. They should be able to feel the heat and that will draw them. Plus, going under something is a natural instinct. Just make sure they aren't plunked into darkness by the flick of a switch at night. Chickens can't see well at all in the dark.

I don't have that model, but yes, I absolutely recommend a brooder plate as opposed to the light.

The babies love it, it uses way less electricity, isn't a fire hazard, and won't cause the babies to pick feathers on each other. Another great thing about it is it lets babies get used to normal day and night cycles. Personally, I'd go crazy if it was light all the time. Sleep quality can't be good.

And another added incentive: you don't have to worry about adjusting the height of the light and futzing with a thermometer, trying to see if you lowered the temp 5 degrees each week. Brooder plate is basically set and forget. You just have to raise the plate up once you see that it's too low for the babies to fit under as they get taller.

Brooder plates are the bomb. Your babies will thank you.

Oh, mine is the RentACoop Chick Heating Plate in case you were curious. Got it off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLFD6GY/?tag=backy-20

I’m trying one this year. So far, it is much better than the heat lamp. My chicks love it.

You may have to block them under there with your hand until they 'feel the heat'.
Sounds kinda cruel, but that'll work better if they are peeping from being cold.
Make sure the height is set a bit higher in front than the back...you may have to play with the height until they can easily get under and lay down with it just above their backs.

You may have to block them under there with your hand until they 'feel the heat'.
Sounds kinda cruel, but that'll work better if they are peeping from being cold.
Make sure the height is set a bit higher in front than the back...you may have to play with the height until they can easily get under and lay down with it just above their backs.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom